80th ANNIVERSARY DAMBUSTER MISSION

chris collis

On May 16th/17th this year is the anniversary of operation chastise against the rhur dams.

The PSSA are holding an event at the Great Orme in Llandudno on the weekend of the 20th/21st May to commemorate the raid and weather permitting, there should be quiet a few models on display and flying.

The thought occurred to me that those who have a Lancaster may be inclined to dust them off and go down to their local club and flying field on that day or weekend and perhaps do a low fly past, tipping a wing in remembrance of the 53 aircrew who never returned from the mission.

It would be very interesting to hear anyone's views and to just stop and reflect if possible to achieve in your local area.

• Like 3

Advert

That would be brilliant leccyflyer.Any Lancaster in the air I think would be a tribute in any event. I know that that at this time is probably a bit early for a reminder but it may give a spur on to those who may be in the final phase of building a Lanc to join in. I am wondering if we could hear the roar of Merlins over the Derbyshire dams this May from the BBMF for this anniversary?

• Like 2

Great idea. Wish that I still had my i/c TN 11` one to fly on that date as I am an avid fan of the Rhur raid and visited the breached dams in 1975.

If you do not mind me rabbiting on I have an o/d leccy Lanc of 81" span which got shot down by unknown interference (on 2.4) some years back at an event. Repaired and flown many times until a flimsy HK 3 blader shed them just after take off. Tried other props but no use until I got rid of the spinners which would no longer be of use on 2 bladers and took it to my local club scale event. It dutch rolled from side to side becoming inverted each time and only became `controllable` after reducing power. Now fitted with APC 2 blade props but I am now forwarned as to what may happen. Not had the chance to try it yet.

Regarding the HK one which I also have and assuming that it is the later one without `working` bomb doors, here is what you need to do before you think about flying it.

The battery needs to be at the front of the wing but as far back from the LE as possible which means cutting away the foam from the centre.

Get rid of the lousy push rods to the elevators and tailwheel and replace the elevator one. Remove the steerable tailwheel and replace with a castoring one.

Hinge the rudders so that they can be used and fit a micro servo at the tail centre, connected to the rudders with thin carbon rod.

Use coupled aileron to rudder, at least 50% or the thing will just adverse yaw when you try to turn it.

This took me at least 3 days to do but was well worth the effort.

Finally, re glue the retracts in place or they will simply fall off.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips Martin - I've read a lot about the required mods to make this Lancaster into a flyable model, without rolling it into a ball. I think it's vital to get it sorted and flying reasonably before the event, or I won't be risking it. I believe that the one I have is the V2, without the functioning servo operated bomb doors.

It’s great Martin that you are trying to get all the modifications done in time for the May anniversary and I wish you every success,hope you enjoy the flying.Personally I have three Lancs,Two 136in span and one at 102in.Formation flying will be the goal for the May event if the weather gods allow!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...