Which Transmitter

TerryC123

On 17/02/2023 at 19:13, Andy Gates said:

Terry,

As you are learning to fly with a friend / examiner, I would not be too worried about all the bells & whistles that the Apprentice comes with.

To focus your Tx selection on one particular model I would suggest is not the best way to go.

Speak to your friend / examiner and see what he thinks you will require in the way of specifications for your next radio.

Notice I did not say which radio but the specification so you can make your own choice.

Depending on the model of your FlySky radio, it may be that the Tx you already have may be plenty good enough for quite some time.

The beginner / intermediate / expert modes are just different setups which can be achieved in other ways by any half decent radio set currently on the market.

Personally I cannot see the point of spending nearly £200 on a second user radio with only 6 channels when the same money can buy a 16 channel new Tx with a lot more functionality. But really it is your choice & decision.

Have been looking at other Tx makes the last few days!! and I did ask friend. ''Dont bother, we will take out spectrum rcvr and put in flysky (we have 2 flysky tx's) while yr learning, once your ok, get what you want''!!

On 17/02/2023 at 20:48, Andy Gates said:

Which model FlySky Tx do you have Terry?

we have 2 flysky fs i6, which we are sticking with for the present (while learning)......

On 17/02/2023 at 23:17, MattyB said:

Agree with the above - I’m not a big fan of SAFe for learning, but there is not a lot of point buying an Apprentice if you don’t want it, as without that it’s just an overpriced version of any old high wing foamie trainer. You would be better off with something like a Tundra, Riot, FMS Super EZ or XFly Glastar at that point. 

Going that route now, keeping what we have, another rcvr. Got a good deal on the plane. arr tomorrow!!

On 18/02/2023 at 08:36, David Davis 2 said:

Terry, my take on this is as follows.

1. Buy a transmitter with which your instructor is comfortable. If he is a computer buff he may enjoy binding a Taranis, Radiomaster or whatever to your Spektrum receiver in the Apprentice. On the other hand, if he is a computer phobe like me, you'd be better off buying a Spektrum transmitter. I use a DX9 myself and keep a DX6i as a Mode 2 slave and an old DX5e as a Mode 1 slave. If someone turned up with a model and a non-Spektrum transmitter at my club and asked me to teach him to fly, I would have no idea how to go about getting both transmitters to talk to each other! Fortunately I have clubmates who are into this sort of thing and would probably be able to help but it would take time to sort everything out.
  2. About 40% of my club fly Spektrum. The DX6, DX8e, NX6 and NX8 are popular choices.
  3. The Apprentice was my club's trainer when I lived in England. It is an extremely easy model to fly and in my view you do not need all of the stabilising features but if they come with the model, that's what your left with. A Spektrum AR410 only costs £25 and is perfectly adequate for the Apprentice. I use one in a 1/6 scale WW1 biplane.

BE2e Sunday 9th April 2017 No 1.php (Small).jpg

Thanks David, we are changing the rcvr and do without SAFE. later on I can get what I fancy......even a DX9.....maybe!! Terry.

TerryC123

Just be aware there are degrees of "all the safe stuff".

The full safe "limit angle of bank and panic auto return to level flight" mode may not be ideal for a learner to actually learn but the intermediate "rate" gyro level is rather different.

There is no auto stability but only that the gyro reacts to any outside influence to reduce its effect. In other words the plane will still do what it was going to do but a bit slower. Full stick movement is still available so aerobatics are possible. Getting more time to work out what is the correct and appropriate control input is what learners really need. The gyro can be switched on & off in flight so its effect can be demonstrated.

Indeed I commonly install a 'rate' gyro receiver for the maiden flight of my 'own design' planes. It makes a maiden much less fraught. Once happy that I can control the new plane I simply install a simple non gyro receiver and set aside the gyro one to be used in my next own design.

It works for me.      

• Like 2