Ohmen Cooling

gangster

In the process of completing an Ohmen. I notice there appears to be no provision for airflow over the motor or esc. The motor is a close fit in the cowl and the spinner pretty much obscures the hole in the front. There appears to be no exit vent. I recall an article by the WOO describing, by means of an analogy to our own digestive system, that the exit needed to be much larger than the inlet

Have other builders made provision for cooling or had issues?

For newer readers the WOO was a very respected and knowledgeable contributor to the mag  (search WOO or Brian Winch on this site

36 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

The outlet can be seen on the right hand side of the blue bit, half of it, but it's the only picture I can find in my build.

IMG_20210914_133840.thumb.jpg.932920db2f953ed8469da74a7068a69e.jpg

Thanks for that. It looks like you have gone for a single cockpit version and rearranged bulkheads accordingly and put nice big cutouts in them to improve airflow.I like the extra hole in the cowl, I had that in mind. possibly slots in the lower sheet behind the firewall. Not sure if I have sufficient holes in the formers to exit through the cockpit 

47 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

IMG_20210923_143857.thumb.jpg.3b566413cf040c9f6ae60c5e9e46a1b2.jpg

What motor have you used? On mine there seems to be less clearance around the prop shaft The front of my motor extends into the front of the cowl with a tapered hole to allow it clearance to rotate. I have used a turning 3536/8 spaced from the bulkhead 6mm 

3 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

IMG_20210923_143857.thumb.jpg.3b566413cf040c9f6ae60c5e9e46a1b2.jpg

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Same motor turnigy 3536 900 kv. I built the cowl to fit the motor. Like this

What motor have you used? On mine there seems to be less clearance around the prop shaft The front of my motor extends into the front of the cowl with a tapered hole to allow it clearance to rotate. I have used a turning 3536/8 spaced from the bulkhead 6mm 

Ah shortened cowl. That explains it. Will just make a larger hole below in front and also have a think where the heat exit will go Probably in bottom sheet. Tempted by the servos at the back and hopefully the balance issue will be offset by the moter being a tad further forwardThanks for your ideas

Been a while since I built mine, but as I recall the plan does cater for cooling. Air entry is via the hole in the front of the cowl, below the spinner. I think there is a hole in the firewall below the motor through to the ESC compartment, then holes in the battery bay floor to let the air flow upwards. Finally it can exhaust via the hole in the cockpit floor shown in Earlybird's photo.