Antennas

A question about receiver antennas.

The receivers that I have, Futaba FASST and FrSky ACCESS have two antennas.

In both cases, the antennas are sleeved for most of the length with just the tips exposed.

Is it just the exposed bit that receives the signal or the full length of the antenna.

The reason I ask is that it is recommended that the antennas are arranged at 90 degrees to each other - does this just need to be the tips or the whole length of the antenna?

Advert

35 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

Is it just the exposed bit that receives the signal or the full length of the antenna.

The reason I ask is that it is recommended that the antennas are arranged at 90 degrees to each other - does this just need to be the tips or the whole length of the antenna?

Yes, just the tips receive the signal.

• Like 1

Here's my reply to a similar query in another thread...

The unshielded part is simply the outer stripped back to expose the inner "active" element, however since this does not constitute a proper 1/4 wave antenna without a sleeve* or a ground-plane, the shielded part of the cable will have an effect on its performance and sharp bends which result in an increase in inductance in the first 30mm or so (of the shielded part) should be avoided to achieve maximum signal gain.

*Some receivers have this type of antenna.