The Dambusters 80th anniversary meet - coverting a TN 72in Lancaster to PSS ?

David Sack

I'm looking forward to the Dambusters meet and plan to bring a TN 72 inch Lancaster. The model is powered so I want to ask you wise folk if and how could it best be converted to a soarer. If  someone has done the conversion I would love to pick your brains and if it is easy enough I might have a go. Any and all advice hugely appreciated.

We really need a T-shirt for this one !

1617216264_Dambusters80AnniversaryLogocopy.jpg.046d320d912f8e59bc6997858c8b5541.jpg

• Like 1

Hi David,To convert your Lanc to become a soarer, I would suggest that you take out as much weight as possible ie esc’s and if you can,the motors and props. You can also get blank dummy spinners for the aesthetics if you like.What is the all up weight of the Lanc at present to work out the wing loading? It will be very interesting to see how many others are going down the same route as yourself.My own Lancs were 136in and 26lb each and they do fly well.Anniversary tee shirts are on eBay for £15.  Cheers 

• Like 1

David, I have an HP Halifax only slightly larger than the 72“ Nijhuis Lanc. It is a powered model that I have flown at several PSSA events as a pure glider. Here is what I do to make it a PSS model:

1. Remove props. 

2. Retract undercarriage. 

3. Launch and enjoy. 

Unless your model is particularly heavy, I don't understand why you need to 'convert' it. 

• Like 2

I have just found my old Tony Nijhuis Avto Lancaster (beautifully drawn) plan. 
it looks like a semi-symmetrical  but quite thick wing section. Would a thinner section work better for a glider version to improve penetration (less drag)? Alternatively just add more ballast!? Any thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Chris. I was thinking of an E205 section myself. Construction would be balsa and brown paper covered EPS. I built a Blackburn Firebrand like this and it went together very quickly.

Whether I go ahead with the plan depends on whether my house sale goes through. If not, I might as well build myself a Dambusters Lanc!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When the meeting was announced I made the decision to build the 72inch TN Lancaster. Based on the B Mk1 the dorsal turret is removed and underneath there is the bouncing bomb modification. The motors woud not be installed and this would be a pss model. This was to be the fulfilment of a boyhood dream, I remember the TV series 'Pathfinder'  and was lucky enough to see one of the moulds for the model airframes used for the series. That was a massive inspiration for me then - at the time I was flying KK gliders and Jetex powered models but I really wanted the big Lancaster warbird. I checked with Phil about doing a static model as I felt getting her flight ready was probably too big an ask for me in the timeframe - so that was the minimum aim and as it turned out an accurate one.

Building began and the airframe went together surprisingly quickly. I opted for the laser cut short kit and the fuselage was a relatively easy build, even with the compound curve in the balsa at the rear of the fuselage.

918376714_Fuselagecomingtogether.jpg.58975c3cb0f8fad9578effba65c6710b.jpg

The wings were .... well larger than I'm used to but went together quite easily. The servos were installed and the wiring for the undercarriage and motors which may happen post PSS event. The lightweight vacuum formed canopy and turrets were obtained from TN but I also ordered a custom 3d printed set from Sean and Real Model Pilots to give the model a good scale look on the ground - I would not fly with those bits fitted because of a. their weight and b. their fragility in the unlikely event of a hard landing !!

IMG_0651.thumb.jpg.8a2ace1d6cafdd14e4d73c263874634d.jpg

As the model is a 'Dambuster - based on registration AJ-S, a bouncing bomb modification was made and fitted snuggly into the bomb bay.

IMG_0492.jpg.700e4a814516a69f3a17da9426dc6025.jpg

With a couple of months gone and a month to go I started on the engine nacelles. I like scale, and the nacelles were built according to the plans,  a scale model plastic kit and photographs. This was to to take well over 2 weeks ! If you ever build one yourself allow plenty of time to get the nacelles right. Eventually having made lots of errors I got the shape I wanted and made the undercarriage doors work too. I fixed the undercarriage in place mostly to keep the model raised and protect the scale 'bouncing bomb' on the ground.

IMG_0709.thumb.jpg.c827913ac2533c449d788b583e25e3d7.jpg

And so into the last week and the model was ……. Nowhere near ready!  The airframe was more or less complete, the bouncing bomb looked the part but the model needed to be painted and the turrets fixed. And then the final details to complete. My list had twelve points to complete and I just did not seem to be able to tick them off.

1319380548_lessthanaweektogo.thumb.jpg.5b3e1f946502f4b4871cf98001b25458.jpg

The painting went well with good defined lines and the colour was spot on. 

IMG_0731.jpg.d97c46b7a782a086b93243ef04597602.jpg

The last bit, at least to be presentable, was the decals. I had been working on them doing dry runs to check scale and colour. The dry runs were good, very good.  Five hours before we were to leave for Llandudno the decals were printed. They were allowed to dry and then sprayed with transparent sealer which dried perfectly. The decals were cut and placed in water, a system I have used without problems for many years. And it always works and looks good – except for today. Today was a disaster. The decals dissolved.  All I could do was botch the job. I was devastated.

IMG_0736.jpg.d28765290a2fae35c1d9364a29c45410.jpg

When I arrived at the Great Orme there was another challenge. I have the benefit of two feet that have their own mind (thank goodness they don’t make you walk lines to check for drunkeness these days!) . Crossing the few hundred metres to the flying area was slow and awkward for me but the plane was eventually placed in the display area – intact !

IMG_0740.jpg.f508215ff9320f83933f4dc8d4d8e4a5.jpg

Mission accomplished

AJ-S was joined by other Lancasters to provide a display honouring the memory of  the ‘Dambusters’ 80 years ago - and the men and women of Bomber Command during the second world war.

Thanks to Phil and everyone else who made this day happen.

• Like 7

• 7 months later...