Boomerang rebuild

Hamish

Having had my Boomerang virtually destroy itself on its third flight I decided not to give up and did a rebuild. Pictures say more than a thousand words can so I have been taking snaps as I went along. She flew again yesterday in the hands of a competent pilot. Once I sort the throws etc, done on the transmitter I will have it up again on the buddy box. Got to say I have had a lot of satisfaction rebuilding and the pleasure of seeing it fly again was immense. Possibly the purest will have comments about my methods, but I have another model to fly.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0225.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0224.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0222.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0226.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0199.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0184.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0206.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0195.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0227.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/34233/2008_121408December0192.JPG

Advert

Shaun

The CoG was OK.  I was a bit concerned it was going to be too heavy but it was up and aware with an Irvine 40 and flew no problem. If this was a problem, would a larger engine help?

One thing for sure, it is far more robust and should be able to take a bit of  dunt more readily.  My concern initially with the Boomerang was it would not take a heavy dunt although none would have survived the dunt this had

Hi Hamish. Cracking job on the rebuild (no pun intended). Nice to see a model rebuit instead of binned. My dad was always fixing my trainer when I was young, we had a similar accident to this one, also used to land in water alot, lots of pits and a canal where we used to fly at Marbury park many moons ago.

If the boomer has flown ok then it's obviously fine and doesn't need any weight adding. If anything a larger engine would have made it even more nose heavy. Great trainers them, i've flown a few, good fun and cheap too

Adding a larger engine uses power to overcome the airframes shortfalls. You'd probably get away with it too, bu the extra weight would soon be an issue if the engine ever stopped!

To be honest I'm just making the point that whenever you modify an airframe, you need to check the cofg ... that's all.

Besides, trainers are meant to be ugly, heavy and ungainly after a while. That's why we use them.

Yes Kelvin.

A small hole in the centre section which is balsa.  Cut out and patched OK.  I managed to puncture the wing when joining.  From advise I was given, I patched using solartrim as concern was though about the existing covering taking heat.  Having repaired the hole and applied solarfilm to the wing outer to create straight line in the livery, I would have no hesitation in using solarfilm to repair any future hole.  I do have limited experience in covering and my finished job is no work of art.  I am treating the trainer in the broadest sense and its a good test bed to improve my skills.  No experience of other coverings but welcome to try.

I had some reservations about the resin I used to join the wing and stripped it back and fitted a bandage. When it was stripped I could look through the joint in places so am happy I did the bandage.  If I was building another I would bandage.  

Soon be up and away again.

Hamish,

Your rebuild pictures bring it all back to me. I had to do a very similar jod a couple of years ago. I think you have doe a excellent job and I am sure it will fly very well but you may need to adjust the position of the Rx battery to maintain the correct balance point. I know my repairs where a bit heavier than the standard build.

• 2 weeks later...