For the French residents out there.

FlyinFlynn

File this under the 'E' of RCM&E

A while ago on another thread there was talk about the transponder that is required to operate a uav outside of registered clubs in France. I realise that this will have little interest to the vast majority of UK fliers but the way things have a habit of spreading I doubt it will be long before the CAA begin to make noises. 

I also realise not everyone has any confidence in making electronic projects but as projects go this is one of the simplest!. It contains two components, a L80-R gps module from Quectel and a SeeedStudio xiao ESP32C3 development board..... and that is it!

There are 4 connections between the boards and they sit almost perfectly with the gps module placed on top of the xiao, secured with double sided tape, three of the 4 connections are made with a simple vertical strap with only the Vcc connection which is routed between the boards with a wire.

Power is supplied to the unit via the dedicated 3v3 connections on the xiao reverse. Do not feed it with 4.8v.. I'm not sure it will like it. The completed unit is shrink wrapped and weighs in at 9.8grams.

There are instructions in the .ino file to modify your ID string according to the regulations.

circuit diagram.jpg

IMG_20230708_173920.jpg

IMG_20230708_173846.jpg

IMG_20230622_114344.jpg

BaliseDGAC_L80_GPS_XiaoESP32C3.zip

Edited by FlyinFlynn
humour added
  • Like 1

While on the subject of simple projects, here is a scanner with a built in display to listen to your transponder. It is even easier than the transponder, it is just a LILYGO TTGO-T Display development board with the sketch uploaded to it. It really does not get any simpler!

It also has a bluetooth output which can, presumably, be monitored by a mobile but so far I have not been able to locate the actual android app.

IMG_20230708_164358.jpg

Lilygo TTGO T-Display balise scanner & display.zip

• Like 1

Power is fed to the unit via a pair of pads on the rear of the xiao esp32c3, it is designed to be run from a single lithium cell for 'wearables' and the suchlike. The Xiao then supplies power to the L80 via the 3v3 and gnd connection wires.

You could also power the whole thing via the typeC USB socket on the xiao and feed it with 5v.

Both devices list their lowest voltage on their power pins as 3.0v. There won't be any room for power sag if you use a 3v regulator, might be better off using one of these or these

xiao power.jpg

• Like 3