My DB Sport & Scale Auster.

About ten years ago I was given a DB Sport and Scale Auster which just needed finishing off so it's high time I got on with it but progress has stalled at the fitting of the canopy glazing. Because the glazing is so extensive on this model, fitting a pilot figure is to me mandatory. I've had a look at pilot figures on line but they seem to be quite expensive so I was thinking of fitting an Action Man or Barbie's Ken instead. Come to think of it I could even fit Barbie herself! We mustn't be sexist must we! One of the pilots in La Coupe Des Barons, a couple of years ago, flew with a Barbie Doll in the cockpit but she crashed just like the rest of us.

I will have to glue the pilot in place before fitting the canopy glazing because it will be imposible to get him/her into the pilot's seat once the top glazing is in place.

Does anyone have any experience of using these dolls as pilots?   

Auster (2).JPG

• Like 2

My DB Major Mannock's pilot is an original 1960's action man [ from when I was a youngster] He is a French Resistance fighter version under his overalls and has a seatbelt to hold him in. And another in Bleriot XI.

As you say the weight is not an issue for models like the DB Auster.

large.427198897_lmfcflyin2010g.jpg.fcda8af8f756a9edd87ae6aad1a54cae.jpg

SAM_1021.JPG

• Like 1

I bought a Barbie Doll from the local "entraide" or charity shop for 10 centimes yesterday. She will pilot my Auster. I will need to operate on her legs to get her into a sitting position and unfortunately she's in an evening dress. However, I know a seamstress who could make her something more suitable for flying. I need to have a couple of pairs of trousers altered anyway!

• Haha 1