Middle of Lidl Today - micro drill bits, cordless Dremel clone, organisers, mini tool accessories

leccyflyer

10 hours ago, Richard Acland said:

Bought one of the drills today. Plugged it in to a USB charger rated at 5v 2A. The USB charger became very hot, in fact so hot that I unplugged it.

I assume I need to get a USB charger rated at 4A to be able to charge it.

Not according to the manual, which recommends a charger of <4A - with a lower amperage it will just take a little longer. I've charged mine with the wee wall wart that charges my cordless glue gun [email protected] and with the accessory USB-A output of a spare laptop charger -5v@1A.

On 15/09/2023 at 22:24, Richard Acland said:

Bought one of the drills today. Plugged it in to a USB charger rated at 5v 2A. The USB charger became very hot, in fact so hot that I unplugged it.

I assume I need to get a USB charger rated at 4A to be able to charge it.

On 15/09/2023 at 22:33, Philip Lewis 3 said:

USB C isn't always 5 Volts, my laptop USBC intelligent charger is 19 volts, stupidly I lost the charger that came with mine so now have to charge it with my normal chargers (which means taking it appart), it won't charge off 5 volts though but can't remember what I used without taking it appart again.

USB-C have the option of four different charging voltage levels of 5V, 9V, 15V, and 20V. The charger & device should shake hands on connection so that the the correct voltage & amperage is recognised. It sounds like the correct protocol is not being exchanged between the charger & drill in Richard's case, but without proper testing or substitution you can't know which is at fault.