Middle of Lidl Today - micro drill bits, cordless Dremel clone, organisers, mini tool accessories

leccyflyer

Mine has steady amber when plugged in to both old and new 1A and 2A wall chargers with supplied lead. Some of my other USB leads give flashing amber (reduced charge rate?), some steady amber. 45W dell charger gives no light. Microsoft laptop charger with USB socket has flashing amber on supplied lead. Confusing! Now plugged in with amber to see how long until full charge.

Edited by Mike Chantler

Good luck to you guys buying the Lidl mini drill. I bought one when they first came about. Tried to get a chuck to fit it as collets wouldn't go down to my 0.25 drill bit. Weird and wonderful thread which none of the commercially available chucks would fit. 2 years on and the charger gives up the ghost. Contacted Lidl about a replacement charger and was told, quite bluntly, no chance.

Treat them for what they are, a limited life alternative.

Have now bought a Dremel with chuck and right angle adaptor. USB charged and as smooth as you like.

16 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

I bought a set of the micro drill bits. Good luck using the smallest one (0.3mm) more than once. I can barely SEE it, never mind drill a hole with it!

Drill bits that size are only meant to be used in a cnc machine or a very precise pillar drill (think pcb drilling) because the bits are so fragile, any sidewise force applied to the bit will snap it.

I bought one of the Parkside mains powered drill fairly recently and that came with a 3 year warranty, so worth keeping your receipts. It was £35 less 20% discount, so I thought it worth the gamble. It’s a bit fierce so better at cutting than drilling. 

I also have a couple of old Minicraft drills which are still going and the Minicraft thread size turns out to be the same as the Lidl drill so I have been able to fit a Minicraft chuck onto the Lidl drill. Although Minicraft tools are no longer available, there’s an outfit called Squires Tools who sell spare drill chucks. 

However, I also bought a Dremel collet nut to see if it fitted the Parkside thread - it doesn’t ! What I haven’t established though is whether the thread size around the neck of the Parkside drill is the same as the Dremel thread. 

That's not great news about the thread size on the Parkside cordless rotary tool as I think collets were designed by a particularly malevolent demon and far prefer a chuck - I do still have my MInicraft driill so will try the one on that one that for size.

In general I've found the Parkside tools to be excellent. My small cordless drill is still going strong after many years of hard graft and is the power tool that I use most for drilling and screwdriver. It only needs charging infrequently and the battery is holding up well, touch wood. The electric nail/staple gun has also given several years of good service.

A previous cordless rotary tool from either Lidl or Aldi and I don't think it was Parkside, was fine at first, but covered in that rubberised coating which degraded and went very sticky over time, making the tool unusable. No amount of cleaning with different solvents could cure the problem and so it's never been used since. I wish they wouldn't put that stuff on tools, it always seems to go off - it's not just on the cheap tools either, for some bizarre reason they chose to use it on the side cheeks of my very expensive Nikon research microscope, which cost more than all but one of the cars I've ever owned and after about eight years became a sticky mess, so much so that those cheeksare covered in parcel tape to make the instrument capable of being used.

There are two sizes of collets available.  These are the collets from eBay that I bought for my Lidl multidrill- they fitted perfectly- cheap as chips- 6 squid for two- worth a gamble- you can always send 'em back if they don't fit!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354578570926?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3D4bbb761fc554477c8b4cbffd1ad0e81e%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D354578570926%26itm%3D354578570926%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276

20 minutes ago, jrman said:

I had that "rubber" coating problem on a couple of Panasonic cameras and managed to remove it with isopropyl alcohol.

Aye, I tried that - my solvents try it on an unobtrusive bit goes - water-Isopropanol -meths - turps/white spirit -acetone. I stopped short of acetone IIRC because that seldom ends well where plastics are concerned, Unfortunately no joy.

As well as the collets that came with the tool, I also have a set of ten brass collets sized 0.5 - 3.2mm which fit it, so I assume I must have got them from Lidl as well 😕.

The thread on the spindle is 7mm and has 40 tpi.  It's like no thread I've ever seen.  I assume Lidl copied Dremel and Minicraft in going out of their way to be awkward beggars...

USB C isn't always 5 Volts, my laptop USBC intelligent charger is 19 volts, stupidly I lost the charger that came with mine so now have to charge it with my normal chargers (which means taking it appart), it won't charge off 5 volts though but can't remember what I used without taking it appart again.

Edited by Philip Lewis 3
Spelling