Wonder Glue

Peter Miller

Advert

i worked for a firm in the 70s which produced rubber parts for the navy,we had to make a mock up of a gun mantle this is a seal between the barrel and turret. a worker was put in a side room at our enginering shop with a big block of polystyrene 3ft dia by 3ft high  and told to cover it with strips of rubber he had 6 bottles of loctite is12 the first cyno i heard of then he was then left to get on with it for the rest of the day on his own. at 16 45 i was told to bring him and the mantle back to the main factory. when i got there he was standing by the bench in considerable distress with both hands stuck tight to the mantle he had been like this since 12 o clock he couldnt get through the door and nobody heard his shouting i had to hold a milk bottle for him to pee in as he was desperate then cut up the mantle to get him out and of to hospital; there was no debonder in those days and it took two days of soukingin washing up liquid to get it off his hands regards phil

he wasnt happy about it on the day but we laughed afterwoods i never told anybody about the milkbottle till now as he didnt want it known at the time. we often had to take people to hospital with things stuck to them as they did not realise what the glue could do. we had a toolmaker there who thought he was the worlds best practical joker so one day i cynoed the press tool he was working on to the surface plate in the workshop and left it overnight, it took three hours with a blowtorch to warm up the tool and a nudge with a forklift to free it he was not a happy bunny