Warbird replicas Spit IX build preparation

Graham Bowers

I have the kit and am pulling together the other bits I'll need.

I was umming and arring about IC vs electric however having read through earlier posts I see @RICHARD WILLS stated "The electric version is far better........." so that's the way I'm leaning. 

I'm now wondering about battery size and flight time. I'd really like 8 minutes however see Richard also commented a 3300 mAh 4S gives about 5 mins. I see @Dickwused 3700's and @David Hazell 1used 5000's. I realise flying style has a lot to do with it, however I do modulate the throttle!

What's current thinking on flight times and flight performance with the bigger batteries please? Accepting there's a limitation on fitting them in.

I'd need to buy whichever batteries I go for as at 4S I have a couple of 2200's and a couple of 2600's.

I see motors are showing out-of-stock on the WR replicas website at the moment. Any recommendations for a substitute please?

Thanks

Graham

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

Definitely go electric; it makes painting SO much easier!

I have a Tempest and use a 4250 size motor of around 560 or 600kv (can't remember now!) which turns a 14x6. I use 4S 3700 packs and get 7 minutes with some reserve flying in a scale manner. The motors are freely available on Ebay, but not as cheap as they were. 

Good luck

Graham

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all replies.

4250 580v motors seem a bit thin on the ground right now. I discussed with Richard and eventually decided to go with an 800Kv version and prop accordingly.

As regards batteries, I have 2200 4s and 2700 4s already. I'll probably conduct initial flights with 2700' 4s's, lead to suit, and take those flight times in to account. Before I build the fuz I'll shortlist some bigger battery candidates and see what adjustments can be made to the battery compartment.