Sky soldier

Gary E

Hi, I've been given an old Sky Soldier plane that a neighbour was chucking out.  I'm intending to tinker with and get flying if possible with my grandchildren. 

There's a tail fin missing but I think I can make one out of a bit of polystyrene. 

I haven't got the instructions ,so I'm not sure how to charge the battery etc. 

Maybe it's beyond fixing but any advice would be appreciated

Gary

Gary, Is it like this:  Sky Soldier

The battery appears to be a three cell Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), in which case you should find a chargers on Ebay which can be set up to charge them.   If you have an Imax B6 charger that can be set to charge anything from 1 to 16 NiMH cells.  Some cordless phones use 3 NiMH cells, so maybe you could use one of those, although it may be a bit slow and there's no easy way of knowing when the battery is fully charged.

Depending how old the Sky Soldier (also known as the Aero Jex) is and when it was last used the battery is likely to be the problem. It may no longer hold a meaningful charge. A new battery 'pack' may be both expensive and hard to find as it uses 2/3 AAA 300mAh NiMh cells. 

I presume you have the controller. It cannot be flown without it. Originally the plane was charged directly from the controller. 5 minutes charge gave up to an 8 minute flight.

According to a web site a replacement battery was hard to find in 2010!  

Thank you both for the information. 

I do have the controller and I've put a new set of AA batteries in it.

there is an on/off switch on the controller below which is the socket for charging the small battery .

on the front of the controller there are 2 lights -ready and charge.

I'm assuming that I connect the battery ,switch to on and the charge light should come on and when the battery has charged up the ready light should come on.

So far that seems logical.

However no lights come on ! The charge light did flicker at one point but no longer.

Probably the next step is to have a look inside the controller ,to see if there's corrosion /bad connections.

I'll have a look at the new battery website but since these planes are remarkably cheap it may not be worth the effort.

Thanks again for your help.

Gary

• Like 1

A bit of fiddling about and I discover that the charge light comes on when the switch is in the off position.

I suppose that makes sense in that  electricity is going to charge the batteries rather than send a radio signal to the plane.

Times like these when you wish you had the instructions! 

cheers

Gary

• Like 1