Pre-flight,Check all things

Kelly

Well I managed to write my Spit off on monday .

Here is how I did it.

Fitted the Lipo, did my range check,all ok

Final check of the controls ,motor running fine and launch, hand back on the stick pulled a bit of up elevator and wallop vertical into the ground from 15 ft full power .

Now what did I do wrong?? I looked at the transmitter and it was showing FW190 instead of  the Spit,I had not selected the spitfire and the 190 has the elevator reversed,the Spit does not.So when I pulled up the Spit went down  I had not noticed the elevator was reversed  .

Moral of the story, check everything before flying.

I like the Spit so much I got me another one yesterday,will be moding and scaling this one a bit more.

I could have repaired the Spit but after several years of service I will use it for spares, the wing and tailplane have survived intact 

So guys please never assume and always check  . 

Merry Christmas all

Kelvin     

Advert

If only there was a handy mnemonic to remember these things during preflights......

Maybe the BMFA could produce one.......

Wait a minute..!!!

They do!

Seriously, sorry to hear about your loss mate, was it the Ripmax one?

Richard, it's a hand launch model mate, it would have been horribly clear a nano second after it left his hand!

Sorry to hear that Kevin.

I stood on the slope checked the controls and then chucked off my 1/5 scale ASW 17. I watched as is it did a three-quarter loop and tent pegged behind me!

If it's any consolation you probably won't do that again as you tend to double check that the control surfaces point in the right direction.

Thanks guys .

Will be putting another Ripmax Spit together over the Christmas break. Servo's, Rx and motor train all survived intact .

I am going to include all my previous mods plus cutting the cowl back to fit a more scale like spinner .

Thought about fitting retracts but the field I fly from is far too rough.

Seasons Greetings

Kelvin

Well after also crashing my 109 I have ,today wrote off my seagull 40 .

I am now down to two flyable models,

The Spitfire will  repair, so I am going  I/C with it just for a change.

Staying EP with the new Spitfire .

The 109 is will also repair, so I am thinking of changing the colour scheme to something more realistic.

As for the Seagull 40 it will repair but it is last on the now very long repair list .

It happens to us all Kelvin. If people tell you they never crash then you know you're looking at a flyer who never flies.

I know I'll 'retire' models now and then but what's important to me is knowing the cause. It's not nice loosing a model and not knowing why. I retired my beloved SebArt Katana yesterday, got carried away taking her to heaven and back and after 10 mins in the cold, ran out of juice, she didn't make it back to the strip and ripped out her undercarriage in the long grass. On the way past the wings and fuz, the u/c decided to make loads of holes and dents, just to add insult to injury. It's a pretty standard electric aerobat 'thing', the way many of them die in fact and I've seen others do it and thought to myself  - I wont fall into that trap......but I did   Another lesson learned.

I agree David.

I seem to be in the got my confidence back and now I am making basic mistakes phase.

The Seagull was lost after I aborted my landing due to a large dog bounding across my flying field and, while I was climbing out with a fair bit of power on, I took my eyes of the model for several seconds ,to see where the dog had gone .When I looked back a combination of cloud , significant distance and altitude the model had attained resulted in complete loss of orientation. several attempts to correct the situation proved futile so I closed the throttle, let go of the sticks and hoped for the best as the model disappeared beyond the tree line.

Model recovered with the wing ripped off intact but the fuselage badly damaged

My fault should never take your eyes off the model  .

Another hard lesson