Indoor Model Specs Questions

Tosh McCaber

I'm bored seeing featherweight models floating around at the start of our indoor winter meetings in the local school gym hall.

Here's a screenshot of a wee model that I hope may be appropriate for flying ther with a little more body to it!.  It's not new- it was meant for a Cox motor.  I will be fitting it out with a leccy motor, but I'm not sure what size motor and accessories it should be.

Questions

1) what size motor and prop?  It will weigh 51/2 oz- ie1/3 lb.  at 100 w/lb, we're looking at a +- 35 watt motor?  That's as far as I get, with my limited electric skills!  I don't know how that figure transfers into a real set of motor specs?

2) What size ESC?  I have a 12a ESC in the cupboard

3) Battery?- I was thinking 2s?

4) Servos?  I have a few 3.5g servos which I think would suit?

Any help will be appreciated re sizes and availability.

Thanks for any advice.

Untitled.png

Have spent years developing indoor models just like this Tosh, and depending on average sized halls, you are in the large and fast class with this model but is doable..

The best flyers I have made are 2S two cell lipo 200 - 300mah, with small brushless outrunner, 6A - 12A ESC, at 16 - 20 inch span, and Flat bottom wing or flat plate wing for lift, weighing 3.5oz or Less !!!

Your model is flyable, but will need to be kept moving quickly with that wing profile indoors.

The 12A for 2S is ok, and the servos, but 5.5oz will fly fast

Practice outdoors 1st

Edited by Denis Watkins

We fly Indoor in 2 weeks and I will get more pics then.

these 9grm motors from Banggood are great from 6 amp to 10 amp, On 5 x 3 to 6 to 3 props from 35W to 50 Watts

IMG_20231108_110345.jpg

I copied these ARTF in depron, using this motor

The EPP is very durable and weighs 100 grams loaded with 3 servos, Rx and 350ma lipo

I copied these ARTF in depron

IMG_20231108_110217.jpg

Edited by Denis Watkins

Thanks very much for the further input Denis- very useful. 

I'm looking forward to your input, after your indoor flying session.  Couldn't get the link to the Telink Tera- couldn't follw the Polish(?) script!  However, I got the  gist of it!  I'm going to trust that Banggood will be able to send in good time a couple of these motors.  Do you know whether they have prop adaptors- or does one come with the motor?

The model I'm looking for is something small, light, and spritely to fly in our (mid-sized) hall!

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2023 at 11:09, Denis Watkins said:

We fly Indoor in 2 weeks and I will get more pics then.

these 9grm motors from Banggood are great from 6 amp to 10 amp, On 5 x 3 to 6 to 3 props from 35W to 50 Watts

IMG_20231108_110345.jpg

I copied these ARTF in depron, using this motor

The EPP is very durable and weighs 100 grams loaded with 3 servos, Rx and 350ma lipo

I copied these ARTF in depron

IMG_20231108_110217.jpg

Hi Denis,

Did you manage any photos from your Indoor session?