Enforcement of model flying regulations

Obviously we are concerned about the future of our hobby and our flying fields. Consider the larger picture. There are many unregistered airstrips in the UK 'farm strips'. They too will be adversely affected by any new restrictions imposed to help commercial drone operations. I can think of five such strips within 10 miles of my home. A simple solution would be for the CAA to identify all flying sites and to compile a map. Then anyone proposing to operate a drone service could be given a map, on payment of a suitable fee, and told you must avoid these areas. Result no affect on existing airspace users, some income for the CAA. Costs to be born by those businesses who seem to have limitless funds to develop these UAS system which we are led to believe will be soon darkening our skies😃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martin Dance 1 said:

Obviously we are concerned about the future of our hobby and our flying fields. Consider the larger picture. There are many unregistered airstrips in the UK 'farm strips'. They too will be adversely affected by any new restrictions imposed to help commercial drone operations. I can think of five such strips within 10 miles of my home. A simple solution would be for the CAA to identify all flying sites and to compile a map. Then anyone proposing to operate a drone service could be given a map, on payment of a suitable fee, and told you must avoid these areas. Result no affect on existing airspace users, some income for the CAA. Costs to be born by those businesses who seem to have limitless funds to develop these UAS system which we are led to believe will be soon darkening our skies😃

But while we would be flying from a local strip and our models would be staying close to that, aircraft from farm strips go everywhere.

We have one farm strip with several aircraft on it. One of these is an ultra light aircraft  and the owner who has several aircraft has actually landed on our model flying field on more than one occasion when we were not there.  He has been reported to the CAA for that.  He also has an aerobatic aircraft which we see performing all over the area and another owner has a Pitts which he flies aerobatics here and there in the area. 

So giving a drone operator a map would need to cover a large area of East Anglia just for that one strip.

1 hour ago, Martin Dance 1 said:

A simple solution would be for the CAA to identify all flying sites and to compile a map. Then anyone proposing to operate a drone service could be given a map, on payment of a suitable fee, and told you must avoid these areas. 

That is not going to happen. To quote the CAA Future of Flight Industry Update September 2023:

"The 2023 version of the strategy introduces significant new areas of focus, such as better enabling activities outside of Controlled Airspace,
facilitating more access to the UK’s airspace for more of its users, and integrating, as opposed to segregating, the growing activity of ‘new entrants’,
including BVLOS Drones, Advanced Aerial Mobility, High Altitude Platform Systems, Space Launch, etc."

The same update does recognise our legitimate use of this airspace:

"We are supporting a thriving drone and model aircraft industry in the UK, as of 31/3/2023 there were:
• 513,860 active registered drone flyers and operators
• 14,638 Active Remote Pilot Competency Qualification Holders
• 3,620 Active Specific Category Operational Authorisation Holders
• 30 Active Recognised Assessment Entities
• 4 Active Associations (BMFA, LMA, UKFPV, ARPAS-UK)"

• Like 1

Following on from my last posting.  In this area we have Wattisham where they have the Apaches.  These fly round day and night (up to 11 pm) at low level.  I would therefore imagine that this area would be a no-go area for drones.

The Apaches know where our model flying site is so we have no problems there.

Pictures taken from my house.

DSC01561.thumb.JPG.8eafe07381459b76392f6f133f271a90.JPGDSC01563.thumb.JPG.ab37392683ef57a1189b7b54059e55b3.JPG

And one of the Ultralight that flies around the area

1312552428_G-CFHZ2.thumb.jpg.5fc27fbad0f518e7d576ada59d2ae8b1.jpg

And one of the Pitts

1250607501_Twister2.thumb.jpg.95cca3c0c21736a068c2aea8d07e1852.jpg

Now fly drones through THAT area

• Haha 1

Peter I think you may have misunderstood my point. If we are to believe that most drone activity will take place in 'our' airspace i.e below 500ft, what a light aircraft does and where it goes is pretty irrelevant. However come what may it has to climb to above 500ft and then in order to land descend below 500ft so the space that takes up is the area which drones would need to avoid. Above that the normal rules of the air apply, so see and avoid, electronic conspicuity etc. As for military flying especially helicopters they seem to be a law unto themselves. If I were a drone I would definately keep out of the way of Apaches!😙

Well the Apaches are around here all the time including taking off and landing up to 11 pm at night. See my other picture of one hovering over our flying field.  We do get other low flying military aircraft occasionally. Hopefully that will make this area a "No Fly" zone for Amazon etc drones.

As for civil aircraft disobeying the rules...I have no sympathy.

One interesting incident from a few years ago.  I was just unloading my weeks shopping when a Peitenpol Air Camper flew over. fairly low. As he came over our houses (3 in a country lane) he did a roll which ended up in a 45 degree dive.  He then did a barrel roll as  he flew on towards a couple more houses.

Peitenpol Air Campers are forbidden to do aerobatics.

I reported him to the Light Aircraft Association and was told that a letter warning owners of the ban on their doing aerobatics had been sent out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martin Dance 1 said:

Peter I think you may have misunderstood my point. If we are to believe that most drone activity will take place in 'our' airspace i.e below 500ft, what a light aircraft does and where it goes is pretty irrelevant. However come what may it has to climb to above 500ft and then in order to land descend below 500ft so the space that takes up is the area which drones would need to avoid. Above that the normal rules of the air apply, so see and avoid, electronic conspicuity etc. As for military flying especially helicopters they seem to be a law unto themselves. If I were a drone I would definately keep out of the way of Apaches!😙

Martin,

Remember that all licenced strips have an associated Air Traffic Zone around them.  This is usually 1.5 nm radius around the centre of the strip and 2,000 ft.  Most tend to use a common radio frequency to advise transit but not all do.  I fly from such a strip so our Club has a rule that requires a spotter who also monitors a radio receiver for any inbound aircraft.  We land when we either see or hear an inbound aircraft.

However, it took a request to Wattisham to stop Apaches flying across the airfield at relatively low level!  The Apaches now skirt the airfield using the ATZ boundary.  

12 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Remember that all licenced strips have an associated Air Traffic Zone around them.  This is usually 1.5 nm radius around the centre of the strip and 2,000 ft. 

Agree, all licensed strips have an ATZ around them. However unlicensed strips, mostly 'farm strips' do not it is those which are going to be the biggest problem for UAS operations. There a lot of them around, probably outnumber model flying sites.

2 hours ago, Martin Dance 1 said:

Agree, all licensed strips have an ATZ around them. However unlicensed strips, mostly 'farm strips' do not it is those which are going to be the biggest problem for UAS operations. There a lot of them around, probably outnumber model flying sites.

I know of three within 6 miles of me.