Marutaka 1/5 scale L-19 Bird Dog

Mark Malach

Hello good people. I am looking for anyone who has built or has any info on building the Marutaka Bird Dog. I found one here locally and bought it. I got a really good deal on the kit but even though I do have a fair amount of experience building this kit it presents many challenges. For example, how does the horizontal stabilizer and vertical fin attach to the fuselage? Any help would be very welcome at this point. Cheers!

The horizontal stab is just a basic built up open frame that is sheeted with balsa, there is no mention or anything on the plans that show how to attach it. Im assuming it just glues to the end of the fuselage which is open as well, all there is to glue to are the sides of the fuse and the balsa sheeting of the stab which in my opinion is not nearly strong enough.

Agree with the weight issue. I always did my best to avoid adding extra weight for balance sake. I also agree with your suggestion about adding some more glue area. I might also look into possibly making the stab removable but again I will probably be dealing with extra weight. After 30 years of being away from building this old bird is real rusty lol.

• Like 1

I could have started again with a much less complicated kit but like I was saying I found it here locally and the price was something I couldn't refuse. Living in such a small town makes it nearly impossible to find what you want or even remotely close to what you want. Yes, with time I will get up to speed again and things will be good. Cheers!

• Like 1

The plan for a 1/6th scale Bird Dog might give you some ideas - it's here on Outerzone.    Looks equally vague though!   Plenty of other Cessna plans there too to get some ideas.  Some ideas about corrugations for Cessnas  there too.

Frankly I think most people would advise building a simpler model first to get back into building and also build something that would get your flying  back up to speed.     Lots of things have changed in model materials and particularly  in covering materials etc.   Worth trying out on a small model first.   Check out the range from Deluxe Materials for water based dopes and lots of special glues etc.                

Thanks Kc. Spent lots of time actually as an instructor but yes lots of time has passed since then. I do have a Sig Kadet that has been in the closet for almost 20 years and I am going to get it flying but to be honest when 1/4 scale cubs and 1/3 scale fly babys and so on is what you are used to I guess Im just being stubborn lol.

The other thing after all this time that totally confuses me are the radios/transmitters, another learning curve.

Edited by Mark Malach

I also have the Marutaka Bird Dog kit waiting it's turn. The plan shows the servos in two different locations depending on the engine used. The plan shows an OS Gemini FS twin which is heavy. The plan shows  the rudder and elevator servos way back in the fuselage because of this. Servos will need to mount much further forward if a single cylinder engine is used to get the CG correct. 

Edited by David Ovenden

Mark, I've just got the Bird Dog plan out to look at. From the  sketch drawing of the fuselage you can see that there is the fuselage side plus the doubler F25 to glue to. In addition there is the block F36 at the rear plus 2 formers F14 and F15 plus the front of the tailplane will glue to F13. That doesn't seem bad to me. But it would be easy to add some crossgrain balsa sheet infill as has already been suggested by John.

The tailplane has reinforcing spars built in.

The base of the vertical fin will need to be sanded to a snug fit with the top surface of the tailplane. But there are also the 2 substantial fillets F38 that will reinforce the joint either side. Well-fitting parts  properly epoxied into place make an amazingly strong joint. I don't think you need to worry about the structural integrity.

Edited by David Ovenden
Spelling

30 minutes ago, Mark Malach said:

I want to do some nice scale detail but that would mean fiberglassing and paint which can add weight and since I am not that experienced with fiberglass I might just stay with iron on finishes.

The full size is all painted metal so plastic film won't look too out of place and will most likely be lighted than glass-fibre and paint finishing. But not necessarily so of course. Some modellers on here are super proficient at getting a great finish with minimal weight gain. The glassfibre cowling and aluminium undercarriage at least will need painting though. Other areas hard to film cover would be the ailerons, flaps elevators and rudder that all feature a triangular "corrugated" surface. Quite tricky to film over.

14 hours ago, Mark Malach said:

Thanks Kc. Spent lots of time actually as an instructor but yes lots of time has passed since then. I do have a Sig Kadet that has been in the closet for almost 20 years and I am going to get it flying but to be honest when 1/4 scale cubs and 1/3 scale fly babys and so on is what you are used to I guess Im just being stubborn lol.

The other thing after all this time that totally confuses me are the radios/transmitters, another learning curve.

Yes. radios have changed a lot and 2.4Ghz is almost universal now.   It's not worth buying new batteries for any old radios in my opinion - modern radios have so many advantages ( many memories etc ) that you will want 2.4 especially if you are an instructor.   The Spektrum wireless buddy system is very popular and this might determine which make you buy ( to match any pupils radio )     I guess you might be in USA judging by your spelling of 'colored' so it's worth saying that radio gear in Britian may be much the same as USA now but our Tx are more restricted in power.   But 2.4Ghz is so much easier with no frequency clashes it's far superior.

I was not sure whether Canada uses English spelling or USA spelling!   British Columbia seems to be the centre for large but lightweight scale models - a big article in the latest RCME shows the various Ivan Pettigrew designs.   That seems to be the way forward  - electric models of 6 or 7 ft span weighing 4 or 5 pounds.   Very low wing loading and needing only modest size motors and Lipos.  Building skills rather than chequebook modelling  ( or should that be checkbook modeling? )

The ARTF  'Bind and Fly' models often  use Spektrum and these are popular with novices so that probably influences instructors choice of radio.   But it varies a lot locally - some people hate Spektrum.