Chilli Breeze Wood Shopping List ?

Bought the latest RCME, primarily for the Chilli Breeze plan.

I’m comfortable building from plans, happy to cut all the parts myself, including ribs and formers, but one thing I struggle with is visualising what wood I need to go out and buy.  I don’t have a local store so I can’t buy as I need so I’d prefer to buy it all at once to keep postage costs done.

Wondering if anyone has created a shopping list of what wood is needed to complete the build.

BTW I know that Sarik do wood kits including laser cut parts but I’d prefer to do it all myself.

Many thanks,

Nigel

list using only 36 inch lengths of balsa  ( there is a list using 48 inch sheets which is more economical )

WING
LE Sheeting     1/16 by 4                                                     4 sheets 36 inch
TE sheeting      1/16 by 3                                                    2 sheets 36 inch
Center sheeting,capstrips& webs   1/16 by4                    1 sheet   36 inch
LE,TE &tips    1/4 by 3                                                        1 sheet 36 inch
spars   3/16 by 1/4                                                              4 strips 36 inch
ailerons   one and half by 1/2                                             2 lengths 36 inch
5/16 dowel  2 inches

ribs   1/16 by 4                                                                     2 sheets 36inch  

TAILPLANE,Fin &rudder    1/4 by 4                                     2 sheets 36 inch

FUSELAGE
sides 3/32 by3                                                                     3 sheets 36 inch
top & wing cradle jig  1/16 by 4                                           3 sheets   36 inch
bottom   1/16 by 4                                                                1 sheet  36 inch
longerons  1/8 by 1/4                                                           4 strips  36 inch
hatch& F1 reinforcement 1/4 square                                  1 strip   36 inch

COWL
instructions say use 3/8 or 1/2 sheet and triangle   buy 1 sheet and 1 strip triangle   (or laminate offcuts of 1/4 instead.)

PLY    
formers 1/8 birch ply 9 inch by 12 inch
Battery tray, hatch& nose  1/16 birch ply 6 inch by 12 inch.
Hatch etc 3mm liteply 6inches by 6 inches.
fuselage doubler .8mm birch ply 19 inches by 6 inches

HARDWOOD

1/4 square  about 14 inches

Note this is only a rough estimate  and based on the most economical use of material - check for yourself or add some extra sheets for safety.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

•  

•  

It's only a rough estimate based on using balsa in the most economical way ( i.e.  using waste from main parts for the smaller bits like spar webs etc etc) and it's the minimum needed. 48 inch sheets are specified for many items  as probably cheapest for a 48 inch model.   Could be made from 36 inch sheets but more sheets needed.  Only fuselage main sides really needs longer than 36 inch so any joint should be over the ply doubler part.  Note that the 3/32 fus doubler ( over the wing ) needs to be made in 2 parts from the offcuts or you need to buy an extra sheet of that size.    

Buy extra sheets if buying by mail order to save postage!   All these sizes are available from Balsa Cabin and probably SLEC too.   Check for yourself - don't blame me if it's incorrect! 

WING
LE Sheeting     1/16 by 4 by 48 inch   2 sheets
TE sheeting      1/16 by 3  by 48          1 sheet
Center sheeting,capstrips& webs   1/16 by4 by 36   1 sheet
LE,TE &tips    1/4 by 3 by 36      1 sheet
spars   3/16 by 1/4 by 48     2 strips
ailerons   one and half by 1/2 by 36   2 lengths
5/16 dowel  2 inches

ribs   1/16 by 4 by 36      2sheets   ( not needed if using lasercut parts )

TAILPLANE,Fin &rudder    1/4 by 4 by 48   1 sheet

FUSELAGE
sides 3/32 by 3 by 48   2 sheets
top & wing cradle ( jig ) 1/16 by 4 by 48   2 sheets
bottom   1/16 by 4 by 36    1 sheet
longerons  1/8 by 1/4  by 48   3 strips
hatch& F1 reinforcement 1/4 square     1 strip

COWL
instructions say use 3/8 or 1/2 sheet and triangle   buy 1 sheet & 1 strip triangel  or laminate offcuts of 1/4 instead.

PLY  
formers 1/8 birch ply 9 inch by 12 inch
Battery tray, hatch& nose  1/16 birch ply 6 inch by 12 inch.
Hatch etc 3mm liteply 6inches by 6 inches.
fuselage doubler .8mm birch ply 19 inches by 6 inches

HARDWOOD

1/4 square  14 inches

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

@kcand @EarlyBird

Thanks for all the advice - that is very useful.

A question about the plans - I have a few ideas myself but would be interest to hear your suggestions.

The plan included in RCME is not large enough to show the fuselage in one piece - instead it show the front section (about 750mm) and the rear section (about 350mm).  Did you find it necessary to create a single piece fuselage plan, either by cutting and joining the plan (once work on the reverse side has been completed) or making photocopies?

Well I have not built the Chilli Breeze but on other plans I photocopied or just traced the tail parts and added to the main plan.   However the best way is what I have done for the Chilli Wind fuselage ( the larger 40 size ic version ) - I photo copied the whole fuselage  on several A4 sheets, pinned them down and assembled them one by one and sellotaped them together.    The plan can be copied by rolling into two rolls ( like the ' dead sea scrolls'  perhaps ) to copy the middle bit of a large plan - weighting down with a heavy A4 size book.   Leave a good overlap so it can be assembled using a ruler to get straight lines straight- use fus side straight line marked with 'hollow' arrows on the Chilli Breeze as a datum line..  Obviously the most essential thing is to get the tailplane straight with the wing cutout area.  Sellotaped both sides with overlaps makes a fairly rigid drawing.  When the photo copies are assembled trim with scissors to just a bit wider than fuselage.    I then stick the whole assembly onto balsa using small bits of double sided sellotape.   Use only tiny bits or it's difficult to remove later!   Maybe 8 or 10 double sided tape bits 1/2 inch long for a fuselage side.     Then cut right thro the paper and thro the balsa with a scalpel.

When 1 side is cut then the second side is cut to match the first side.  Then the same photo copy is used to cut  ply doubler shape allowing for variations shown by the arrows - solid black or hollow.

When fus sides are cut mark the chord line of the root rib ( feint line on the plan ) onto balsa ahead and behind wing cutout for later reference.  Perhaps prick thro with a pin to mark line whilst photocopies are intact.

Note that the fuselage sides need longer than 36 inch length so arrange joint in balsa to come in the area covered by ply doubler.  Join sheet first to make long sheet in the usual way - tape joint with masking tape, bend back and apply glue, then close up again.  Or tape tightly then apply thin cyano from other side.

Just my way- everyone has their favourite method.

Edited by kc
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

@kcand @EarlyBird

Thanks for all the advice - that is very useful.

A question about the plans - I have a few ideas myself but would be interest to hear your suggestions.

The plan included in RCME is not large enough to show the fuselage in one piece - instead it show the front section (about 750mm) and the rear section (about 350mm).  Did you find it necessary to create a single piece fuselage plan, either by cutting and joining the plan (once work on the reverse side has been completed) or making photocopies?

It's all straight lines. If I remember right, the solid side has a perfectly straight line right from the front to the rear. If you make sure your sheet of wood has a straight edge, you can "just" measure off from that straight edge as a reference line. Then cut the second one using the first as template.

• Like 1