Flair Stearman plans

Brandy

Oh dear, that looks like it’s going to need a complete strip down, just like my friend’s model.

It isn’t clear from the photos if the model has actually been built from a genuine Flair kit, or if the builder has made his own parts perhaps by tracing around the parts from a kit. Some of the ply looks a bit rough.

Brian.

It's genuine Flair. I've got the box the instructions and all the sheets of die cut parts. Nothing had been sanded as its been pulled out of the die cut sheets. A bit of 240 removes the harsh edge and splinters.. no such luck this time🤣

If the problem is the scarf joint, and they don’t look good, why not reinforce, 1/16th,light side of medium, both sides of the scarf. Cut the infills with scarfed ends, lower edge above the main stringer edge, so it’s invisible under the covering. Glue as desired.

Some of the stuff looks a bit ugly but it may not be structural but just to the scale shape.   The 45 degree scarf joints could be OK especially if lapped with balsa or ply.    Maybe replace one of the joints with a continuous length and test the removed part to destruction to see how strong it really was and judge the remaining parts on that test. 

Having confidance in a model is important so maybe it's best to rebuild completely for that reason alone.   Stripping back to bare formers would allow copying of the formers for future reference.

30 minutes ago, kc said:

Having confidance in a model is important so maybe it's best to rebuild completely for that reason alone.   Stripping back to bare formers would allow copying of the formers for future reference.

This. I was planning on over powering and making top ailerons to turn it into a super stearman but im not overly confident with the airframe. I will not copy the formers however I may design and build a proper 1:4 super stearman if one of my contacts comes up trumps.. I'm not holding my breath though.