Avistar Elite

Advert

Thanks.  The covering job on this plane looks very good.  I'm putting a Saito fourstroke on it.  I will try a 62 first. If that is underpowered I will swap it out for the 72.  Yes, seven servos, three in the fuselage and four on the wings as I'm installing the flaps . Going by what other owners have said , the Avistar comes in hot on landing and the flaps are very efficient at slowing it down.  

Some more work carried out today on my latest project.  The Great Planes Avistar Elite.  This plane arrived on my doorstep a few weeks ago from Michigan in the USA.  It was sent to be by a very good friend across the pond and I'm enjoying every minute in the assembly process.   Today I completed the plumbing and installation of the fuel tank which I have layed on a bed of foam and held in place by a Kavan velcro strap.  A plywood spacer disc is included to fit around the neck of the fuel tank to help protect it.  I also have installed the brand new Saito 72 that I bought over 10 years ago, and today it sees daylight for the first time since then.  Instead of using the supplied stock aluminium engine mount which is meant for an OS 46AX,  the recommended powerplant for this plane, I have had to use a larger mount so that it would accommodate the bigger fourstroke engine.   Luckily enough I had on hand a Hangar 9 universal aluminium mount which screwed in perfectly to the firewall and so no modification was required.   The Avistar is a very heavy plane and my Saito 62 would have struggled,  so I may the right choice to go with the 72.   It comes in very hot on landing so the flaps will help immensely to help slow ithings down.  Finally I installed the ever reliable Dubro fourstroke throttle linkage.   This takes all the pain and heartbreak out of connecting up to the throttle lever.    I've been using them for years and never any problems.   

20240201_152553.jpg

20240201_152658.jpg

• Like 2

First class Aidan,

You seem to have the magic touch in getting the best out of your models and they stand testament as to what RC model flying is all about ...... enjoying the hobby.

Keep them coming.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, toto said:

First class Aidan,

You seem to have the magic touch in getting the best out of your models and they stand testament as to what RC model flying is all about ...... enjoying the hobby.

Keep them coming.

Toto

Thanks Toto for your kind comments and yes you are spot on.  Its all about enjoying the hobby and in my case I've always kept things as simple as possible.  Cheers.   

12 hours ago, toto said:

Hey ...... is that a pair of Foster Grants you are wearing ? Definitely the 80's.

Cheers

Toto

I never knew that photo existed until a friend gave it to me two weeks ago.  I was learning to fly a Yamamoto Trainer with an OS 40 two stroke.  That was nearly 40 years ago Toto. Where does time go, it flys by quickly.  Yes the Foster Grants came in handy on sunny days lol and Top of the Pops was not to be missed on Thursday nights lol.  The 80s had it all.   Cheers.        Regards Aidan