Transparent Template material

Hello,

Does anyone know of a transparent template making material that can be scored and snapped out, similar to an American product called See Temp? 

With the above you basically placed over your plan and traced over/scored with a sharpie halfway through and the part just snapped out of the sheet saving a lot of time. I’ve tried quilting template stuff but it’s not the same as it must be traced, removed from the plan and cut with scissors. 

Jack 

Advert

Never heard of anything like that.  If you have access to a pdf file of the plan then most (all? but certainly Foxit and Adobe) pdf viewers allow you to select part of the drawing (a rib, say) and print that. Then it's just a matter of sticking it onto either the wood itself or a something like aluminium to make a template to cut ribs (say).  No tracing needed and potentially easier and more accurate.

With formers I usually use the age old technique of pricking out the shape through the plan directly onto the wood, then just join the dots with a scalpel and straight edge (steel rules).

With ribs I prick out onto a piece of thin ply, carefully cutting round it into the wood as a template. OK on a parallel chord wing.

For what it's worth, I just use tracing paper. Trace the parts with a thin sharpie or rotring pen. Cut out, glue the paper pattern to the wood with pritt stick and draw around it with a pencil. Then just cut to the inside of the pencil line. 

19 hours ago, Zorba said:

Hello,

Does anyone know of a transparent template making material that can be scored and snapped out, similar to an American product called See Temp? 

With the above you basically placed over your plan and traced over/scored with a sharpie halfway through and the part just snapped out of the sheet saving a lot of time. I’ve tried quilting template stuff but it’s not the same as it must be traced, removed from the plan and cut with scissors. 

Jack 

Zorba, I think you are describing acrylic or Perspex (same stuff) sheet in Europe. Usually minimum thickness is 1 mm. it would do what you describe the American product doing. I assume you mean the USA

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Zorba, I think you are describing acrylic or Perspex (same stuff) sheet in Europe. Usually minimum thickness is 1 mm. it would do what you describe the American product doing. I assume you mean the USA

It’s not acrylic or Perspex, it is this stuff

http://www.rcfoam.com/rc-hobby-tools-/pattern-cutting-templates/rcfoam---cool-tools-p-1001.html

No idea where you can get it nor what alternatives can be used though.

It possibly is similar to acrylic but this is 0.25mm thick, plenty of places selling that but in smaller sheets, not sure whether it would snap when scored though.

Edited by Nigel Heather