Battery (or any other usage) Straps

I suffered a battery strap failure when a pack overheated and melted one of the two straps holding it in place.  In the process of finding a strap of the right length, I came across this on Amazon  with which you can make 30 battery straps for £7.99 delivered and, assuming a length of 50 cm for each strap, still have 4.5 m of velcro remaining!  That's 26 p per battery strap.  You can get 10 x 20 mm buckles here for £2.99 and make full use of that 4.5 m remaining velcro strip.

The Velcro seems to have hook and loop embedded in it so it sticks to itself.  I shall be using this for all my future battery strap needs, large and small!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Advert

Another good call, thanks Peter.   I opted for 30mm for a little more money.

I see what you mean about hooks and loops; both on the same side but ample adhesion.   Shame it's Chinese, but ... I always found branded Velcro a bit of a rip-off.

BTC

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Collinson said:

Another good call, thanks Peter.   I opted for 30mm for a little more money.

I see what you mean about hooks and loops; both on the same side but ample adhesion.   Shame it's Chinese, but ... I always found branded Velcro a bit of a rip-off.

BTC

Well, you would, wouldn't you? 🙂

As regards sticky back hook/loop tape I've always gone for real Velcro because it's simply better IMO.  I've been using Velcro/buckle straps from Eachine for some time now and not lost a battery (yet).  Releasing is often tricky, regardless of supplier/manufacturer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

I suffered a battery strap failure when a pack overheated and melted one of the two straps holding it in place.  In the process of finding a strap of the right length, I came across this on Amazon  with which you can make 30 battery straps for £7.99 delivered and, assuming a length of 50 cm for each strap, still have 4.5 m of velcro remaining!  That's 26 p per battery strap.  You can get 10 x 20 mm buckles here for £2.99 and make full use of that 4.5 m remaining velcro strip.

The Velcro seems to have hook and loop embedded in it so it sticks to itself.  I shall be using this for all my future battery strap needs, large and small!

Woops!  If you use the wrong metric units 6000 mm read as cm(!) you end up with my sums!  The more numerically sharp will have noticed that the answer for the number of 50 cm or 500 mm straps you can make from a 600 cm or 6000 mm roll is actually rather more modest at 12!  Sorry if I confused you.  

I promise to take my socks off next time when I run out of fingers!

17 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Well, you would, wouldn't you? 🙂

As regards sticky back hook/loop tape I've always gone for real Velcro because it's simply better IMO.  I've been using Velcro/buckle straps from Eachine for some time now and not lost a battery (yet).  Releasing is often tricky, regardless of supplier/manufacturer.

You don't need that level of stickiness Geoff.  I have seen people end up with half the battery tray coming away when they pulled the battery out!  The strength is perfectly adequate in shear force and I have not noticed a very slight lessening in force to peel off this new type of velcro.  Still, it's your battery pack so you must do what you think best.

So far, I've flown 3 FAI P25 schedules that includes a negative snap and quite a lot of negative looping manoeuvres and the pack has not moved a millimetre.

2 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

You don't need that level of stickiness Geoff.  I have seen people end up with half the battery tray coming away when they pulled the battery out!  The strength is perfectly adequate in shear force and I have not noticed a very slight lessening in force to peel off this new type of velcro.  Still, it's your battery pack so you must do what you think best.

So far, I've flown 3 FAI P25 schedules that includes a negative snap and quite a lot of negative looping manoeuvres and the pack has not moved a millimetre.

Sometimes I just rely on the extra friction of the 'loop' Velcro on the battery against sticky foam on the battery tray held by the 'velcro' battery strap.  The better quality adhesive of genuine Velcro keeps it attached to the battery, rather than peeling off.  A lot of my models are scale (or scale-like) so battery installation is often a compromise.  One of the easiest is my HK Gloster Gladiator which relies on a lump of foam and works really well.