Flair puppiteer goes electric

Sorry all you ic die hards it had to be done, I have been staring at this kit for ages just wanting it to be different from the every day flair kit that turns up at the field. So here you are powered by 2 three cell li-po's and covered brightly it all worked out a treat. Even the cg was spot on. Just need some decent weather so it can be enjoyed

Advert

Nice model Paul I started flying last Easter on electric,joined a club and my instructor converted me to I/C. He saw electric as Devils work,I have found that by the time of unloaded all my gear to the pits, set up and my engine is running I feel Ive achieved enough and feel its time to go home,blow the flying.Without my instructors help I would have gone back to electric by now.I like the sound and aura a little I/C has but feel Ive started over.I recently bought a Greensleeve with some electrical problems and found fixing it very easy and look forward to flying that.I have a Tiger Moth Electric and Spacewalker 2 that ive not flown yet,and look forward to better weather. Good luck with your model.

Nice one Paul, i'm one of the diehards, but it Iooks great, I see you even moved the cockpit position .
I am in the early stages of building the same model, but being a diehard, I'm doing is as an Old Warden Pup look alike.

What motor have you on  board, and are your  two 3s batteries  in series or parallel?

looks like a nice model Paul.i am more used to i/c and having been away from flying for 10 years or so i have just started again with an electric Decathlon which should take to air soon,but why oh why does electric seen so b----y complicated? why don t manufacturers make it simple to choose a motor,speed controller and battery instead of trying to work out what goes with what and what the i/c power equivilent is? I know one or two do but what about the rest? anyway, moan over good luck with the puppiteer

And here's one I made earlier....
This was a sad and neglected Ebay purchase, probably a Mark 1 Flair Puppeteer from about 10 years ago. The wings were repaired and recovered with linen solartex and converted from IC to electric with a Turnigy 370Kv motor running on 6S lipos, turning a 16x10 wooden prop at just 30a max.
I then looked about on the net and noticed some had modified it to look more like a 1 1/2 Strutter, which the dimensions actually fit better than a Pup. So, the scalpel came out and here it is. Still some detailing to go at - the struts/cabane could be "wood" but it flies well.

Artfully presented on a wheelie bin! Other views available.

I like that Rik, true, it has more of  a Strutter look than that of a  Pup, and it onIy requires
 one or two mods  to gain the effect. As I had an I/C Puppetteer which I flew off water
for the past eight years which has been sold on, which I may add makes a wonderful float plane,  a 1 1/2 Strutter will make a pleasant change.     

Not sure if this link will work but short video of an early take off. Very windy day and I need some more downthrust adding too. It survived, no damage, for another flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIkyl8ILbYY&feature=channel_page

12S lipos does seem excessive.........
Unless paralleled for duration but then, probably not enough volts/power for an 8lb draggy biplane?
You'll see that 6S is plenty of power, even with a rather under propped lazy motor.

Even on 6s that seems a bit fast to me for scale flight speeds. I still think that selecting the correct Kv motor combined with 4 or 5s Lipo is plenty enough RPM for these vintage bipes. My Camel is running a 16" prop on 4s LiPo and the pitch speed is fine, together with realistic flight speed.
" Sufficient power for a draggy biplane " is derived from having the right size prop for the voltage - not a high cell count.

Yeah, even 6S is a bit energetic! However, you can see in the video, that our site is hedged by trees down one long side and at the bottom, which is the usual prevailing wind direction. This video was my third take off with this plane and I was keen to have enough power in case of difficulties. Also, with the trees, a long slow scale take off is not really possible - you have to gain height sharpish or else! Maybe with more practice though.
I will experiment with 5S and 4S combinations but the Kv is a little low at 370 and even with 6S, it's only 30 amps and 650 watts on the meter. The 4S only pulls 450 watts, which is pretty stingey for a 8 1/4 lb plane, if you go by the 100 watts/pound rule. Possible, really nice slow scale, with a good run up but I'll get used to the plane before I try that.
Anyway, later in the video, you'll see a nice slow fly past, when I found the throttle switch