Our club is to start a warbird pylon racing

Advert

David, how about own-design stuff?

Putting together a small model along the lines of a "foxjet" (36" span / .15 - .25) takes an evening and to modify the lines into warbird outlines is simple really. okay, they wouldn't be perfect scale but then you wouldn't mind whacking them around at balsa shredding speeds and heights.  Added to which the total cost per airframe would be cheap as chips.

If the whole club were to do it there are people out there who'd CNC cut kits for you arent there?

This approach works extremely well up to your .36 sized models.

David

Aren't the ripmax kits a bit large for David's spec?

Model Airplane News have 1/12 scale plans for P51 and ME109. Also a WIldcat - that one's very slightly oversize, at 38.5 span, but I'm sure you could lose 1/4" from each tip.

House of Balsa do kits for P51, ME109, P47 & FW190, all of which fit the 38" requirement

Re the leccy jobs...I'd assumed they wanted glow power. 

Those House of Balsa ones seem a bit small for DA's purposes, .01 - .12 sized///the biggest I can see is for a .20.  

I still reckon OD is the way to go -  then everyone has the same, a sort of "single class racing" but with different marques.

D

Sure, the HoB kits would need beefing up a bit if you wanted to shove a .36 upfront but you're not going to come across too many 3ft wingspan kits designed for that sort of motor

I've got a smallish p51 kit of american origin in the rack. Can't remember manufacturer or size. Will dig it out when I get home & if it fits the bill I'll put that info on here.

Also there was an old Radio Modeller plan for a Bearcat designed around a Veco 36. Again, I'll look it out and advise details 

Plus, from the Mainly Models combat kits the 109, Bearcat, and clipped wing Spit fit the bill

If you go up to a wingspan in the region of 42/44" - hardly too big for the proposed motors - that opens up a lot more options, both re kits and plans

David (P), I don't have any special source. Was just suggesting that going up to 40" plus wingspan would widen the options. Ie could consider the entire Mainly Models, HoB, ATS and Cambrian ranges, rather than just the smaller planes from those manufacturers. Great Planes combat Corsair and P51 would also then qualify. M.a.n. 44" AT6 Texan plan, etc etc.

I've dug around in the shed. The P51 kit I have is the HoB item. As supplied its only sheeted from LE up to the spar. If the wing was fully sheeted I reckon it'd do the job with no further mods. Suitability of the HoB P51 is backed up by an article in Jan 2006 M.a.n. in which they fit not only a 25, but also retracts

Radio Modeller Sept 1988 had Bearcat free plan. 36" span, tapering wings = b* all wing area. Designer used .29 power. Bicycle clips and andrex probably essential flight box items for that one, especially considering the weight of the r/c gear in those days

Actually, I'm with you on the own design idea, given that the mortality rate would probably be higher than for "normal" flying.

If I were doing this I'd probably use a plan to get the outline, get some foam wings cut, and build a slabsided box fuz with a bit of decking added. Cartoon scale, if you like.

Failing that I'd probably use one of the Mainly Models kits, purely because they look like they'd be the quickest build.

Can I ask what's the "foxjet" you referred to? That sounds like quick cheap fun

Foxjet is an old Galaxy models kit of 36" span. Its a cartoon style jet - swept wings, pointy fuz etc and designed for almost anything from an .09 up to a 20. I have flown them with all powers including electric (old speed 400) and PAW 149s.  I have also loaded in the lead (Pb) instead and slope soared them.  Servos on ailerons, elevator and throttle.  The kits are cheap enough but the model is a cinch to replicate on your own anyway. If you have never flown a Foxjet and you fancy some cheap hilarity I would recommend one: it is certainly in my list of "models everyone should try before the final tranny switch is turned off".

http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/detail.asp?id=633&rootid=1|21#lift

The last one I flew, last year, was in a high "g"  turn when the nicad ejected itself. The model kept on turning and simply flew twp nice descending orbits: had it been level it would have landed, as it was the chinese landing was both spectacular and hilarious.  Amazingly i found everything.

Its a model to keep in the car, as they say, or more likely, just chuck it in everytime you go flying.  I havent got one at the moment, but I do have the fuselage pieces for one so it wont be long!

HTH

david