Pick -a- 'plane discussions

Tim Mackey

I have a lot of hours at the sticks!

By the looks of it, a lot of people have been building the 62" hawker typhoon and hurricane as a first build!

I don't see how the wing is going to be so hard to build? it will probably just need a bit of wash in to stop it tip stalling and apparently Tony has modified it to make it slightly better and i for one cant wait!

By the way, any guess about how much the CNC former pack will be?
I got about £70 savings in the bank and i hope that will be enough.

Advert

Hi John,
                   I have got to the stage where I am fed up with the stuff you can build in a week so for a few weeks now have been looking at a larger project for later this year.

To me the Spitfire - done to death - prefer the Tempest II or V.
Mustang , done to death - prefer the Hellcat or Bearcat..
Me Bf 109  done to death - prefer the He 100 but only just. Ta 152H-0 long wing for PSS.
Zero & Tony, done to death - prefer the Ki-43 Hayabusa (Oscar) or Hayate.
Australia? -  the CA-15 Roo, looks like a Mustang on steroids with a Griffon 61. faster than a Mustang too with more firepower. could cruise at 450knts.
Italy - MC 205 Veltro.

There are so many exceptional aircraft that we could build models of without back pedalling all the time,

regards,       Terry

could'nt agree more. all done ,why backpedal.
What john says is true though. it probably depends where on the globe as to what plane your preference would be, also would have alot to do wiht the age group you;re in.
Picking a plane in a prodominantly english magazine its a good chance its going to end up a ww2 fighter. nothing wrong with that. its just a matter of getting people to suggest other planes other than the normal / regular planes always suggested.
There were some awsome suggestions  in the ballots this time but other than one or two people there would be no way they would come up to the top 10.
Hence we need suggestions of aircraft or style or time frame so some could be chosen by the designers and then voted on buy the public.
So first we need to determine style or time frame ,Dont we????

Hi Graeme,
                       how about cycling through the cpuntries? we have had the UK so why not Germany, then the U.S then Japan and so on, this way you are bound to finish up with something different to  the year before or  the usual British WW2 warbird which has dominated the choice for four(?)  years now.
First vote for a country which narrows the field immensely, then decide on single or twin engined - anything bigger than a twin isnt practical and too costly to construct apart from by the privelaged / very enthusiastic few.
If it is done by a process of elimination of country, type, period wherever we end up there will only be a choice of about ten aircraft anyway,

regards,    Terry 

Gents/Ladies,I  feel that it is time to let T.N, make up a "short list" of the planes He thinks is suitable, AND, most of all, it is something that HE would like to model, this way the choice is his, and we vote on which one. Makes sence to me........there again I am an Aussie.......  Barry

Queens rule or not Barry's suggestion makes a lot of sense, at the moment we have maybe a little too much choice? remember last years format, first the members forwarded ideas for a free plan, it was then narrowed to a much smaller choice by David and Co, the members than got to vote for one out of that list.

Allowing Tony N to create a list of suitable subjects would allow him and the rest of the team at RCM&E to eliminate the really involved models that require too much time to design and are a really difficult build for a lot of people.

That said, as for twins being as big and complicated as we should get for a free plan I have to disagree Tony's Lancaster and B52 are excellent examples of what can be done in the 72" range of 4 engine models also let's not forget the Dak and the Airbus all "large" models by some standards but with the cost of electronics and batteries getting less by the month ( global economic situation aside ) these fall well within the budget of a very large number of builders, Li-po batteries are now very close to the cost of Ni Mh with less weight and extended flight times, you have to look at the cost of a battery pack as though it is buying fuel in advance, $150 Canadian will buy me 6 US gallons of fuel if I buy it on a pro-mo, that same $150 will also get me a 4400 mah 3s Li-po from the L.H.S. and I would paying over the odds for it, the fuel will be gone in a season the battery will last maybe two providing it is used and not abused.

I think there is room in this hobby of ours for everyone and our taste's, budget and choices of models will always be very diverse and that is what keeps it interesting and keeps forums such as these open.   Can't wait to see how it all goes next year.  

Edited By Tony Richardson on 19/04/2009 17:33:44

I think terrence sugestion of countries is another excellent idea for narrowing choice.
Barrys thoughts on the short list are fine as long as we dont have a shortlist of regular planes again. That being said theres still some good regular ones Id like to model.
Mulit engines probly should be limited to only twins. I converted to electric power on some of my models and it was ok but Id debate the cost being economical.
Lets face it its hard to burn out a internal combustion engine because you have calculated the amp draw wrong or accidently put on a prop thats to big or accidentally shorted a wire. as for lipos theyre great but ....they have there faults.
I go flying and end up throwing in a IC plane..... I dont need to charge it....
As for petes Queens rule,,, ha when was the last time she visited you . Long live NZ.
Lets stick with the old rule and try to keep it fair and simple.
Thanks kiwi Graeme

Hi Graeme I think Terrys idea is excellent too it would be benificial to have the criteria narrowed a little, if Germany was the first country I would love to see a B & V 141 this I believe was the only one of the asymmetric designs ever flown but there are many more, some even kitted in 1/72 static scale, something designed around a 52-60 four stroke would be nice even though I like electric for multi designs I really like the sound of a four stroke ic engine, trying to replicate that; with the electric models is where I find it starts to get prohibitive, unless of course you get into the large aerobats or large scale that require 10s plus, that is way above my budget, but for the average sport model I think they are close, my Nigel Hawes Tucano is getting a little tatty now but it is a sweet flyer and can be flown for around 25 minutes on a 3200 Li-Po. 

As for the Queens last visit couldn't really tell you, but it most likely wasn,t in the winter.

Hows tonys progress with the lysander going.
Any other thoughts on choice of country for planes or queens visit.
Germanys a good start.
how about italy, some unique planes came out of there including racing sea planes early last century. Alot of planes which probly werent  modelled
If we all work together the editor and designers may take note.....

Hey polyphilla
Im sure that helps. Why doesnt tony build a scale two seater spitfire wreck .
Yip good suggestion so now we're back to square one ,spitfires.
Scrap all previous work on the thread ,what a waste of time........
Thanks kiwi Graeme

Hi Peter,
                    I have a Tiger 1 Panzer tank 1:15 scale with a BB firing gun, I have converted a keyring laser to mount above the barrel running off the main battery for targetting.
I fitted a 1'' cube shaped TV camera on the turret that runs off a PP3 and relays the colour picture about 100 yards, pick it up on the Aux Video channel on the TV so can drive the tank around outside quite easily, reworked the gun with a lengthened brass tube liner which gives it a range of about 40 meters.
Local cat population is not amused, was thinking of fitting a spare gun I have in the belly of a Mosquito with a camera in the nose,

regards,    Terry

You re right you have contributed and id too would like to see your ideas go to vote.
First we need to sort the catergorie that people want. but if the thread goes off topic we get nowhere.
Now being referred to as "these people " certainly makes it sound like I m not going to get any say anyway.
So I will post some cream buns to the moderator to help suck up also.he' probably get food poisoned buy the time they get there from new zealand .. ha ha

NO I LL WILL POLYPHILLA  we just want to help make the choice like you.

Hi Phil,

We should respect that Tonys' decision to design any particular model must take into account 1001 different factors..........not the least of which should be.....does he like it?
 After many years of building scale sailing ship models like warships, clippers and so on for collectors and museums to commission I know exactly what Tony may have to put up with, there is nothing more soul destroying than knowing you have many hours working on a model you have no interest or feeling for.
It was a bit different I suppose with a ship model because it had to be just like the original as much as possible and may take 1500 hours or more, model aircraft dont take that long but your still doing something you dont want to be doing.

I think the country idea would work best, whatever you pick for next year you would be guaranteed something different for the following year, if Germany comes up first choice like Alula said it may be a 109 but I wouldnt whinge at that because there are very few decent plans around for a model as accurate as Tony builds and a 109F or G/K model is acceptable to me, more so than a Fw190 which all look the same until you get to the D series.
There is so much difference between the aircraft of the different fighting powers and in the main this carries over to civil aviation, you can tell straight away if something is American or British built or Russian or whatever because they all have their traits, if the format were Country - period - warbird or civil you are probably down to six or eight likely contenders,

regards,       Terry

Edited By Terence Lynock on 21/04/2009 11:57:30

Gents, I have said this before,every month we get a free plan in the mag, some may not to your personal taste, flying /building ability, BUT, they are genuine models THAT will fly (or else they woud'nt be included).
The idea, I asume, by the "chiefs" of the"SPECIAL is to place a model that is not of the average/common/done to death, because the once a year, mag would NOT be SPECIAL.
I am sure most of us buy the "special" not only for the "free plan" or do YOU?, I hope not , because the other writers are just wasting their time.
So if your fav. twin/ single does not win, do you still buy it ???????
I, as you know live in remote part of Aus, 1600km from the nearest hobby shop (by air), I feel that UK/ USA/ EUROPE modelers are somewhat self concieted about what they excpect from 2/3 guys giving us this wonderful mag..
David, Graham and all the other writers + T.N , put hours into this production every month, so if you don't like the "Freebee" in this years or next years, give the guys who make it happen a "round of applause" 
"under the Queens rule"........ well lets look at Galipy, Boar, France, Sinyapore, Trubuk and so on,Aussies.Canadians, NZ SF ,who were sent in first????? UMMMMMM cannon fodder
so there really is only one plane that stands out to all of the rest that should be modeled next year is..........................................WHIR..............................Barry. just wind to ya up

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 21/04/2009 13:32:18

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 21/04/2009 13:34:42

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 21/04/2009 13:50:09

Phil W, you ask how? wel it is a simple matter of aquiring a scale drawing from a mag, and with the use of a calculater, making a set fo measurements in the scale you want
 measure the drawing e.g 3mm  x by 7 gives 21 mm
wing span first  eg drawing is 200mm  x that by 7 gives you a model of 1400mm span, if that is the span you want, spend a hour or so making a sheet with all of the necessary measurements from 1mm = 7mm to 200 = 1400. then on a sheet of paper draw a datum line and away you go, refer to this quick refererance sheet to outline the the model, then...........Barry

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 21/04/2009 14:05:09