Pick -a- 'plane discussions

Tim Mackey

Its good to see the country idea starting to develop.
Germany is a natural choice to many and would not be a bad thing as the last few specials were british..
Russian planes arent modelled all that often and as I said earlier lets also think of other smaller countries aswell and then we can see what develops as a common theme for the plane.  Country / warbird / civillian / single/ multi / timeframe.
work with these and get some feedback from tony and editors and we will possibly get a fine choice of planes to pick from that hopefully wont be the normal run of planes...
Thanks
Kiwi Graeme

Advert

I think the country by country approach would supply us with a never-ending stream of  interesting stuff, Brazil turned out the Tucano and Argentina the Pucara that caused us some real concern in the Falklands, we see loads of plans for the Me 109E but how about the Avia 199 and the Spanish versions as models in their own right?.
By going for the country instead of a specific aircraft some of the more obscure and little known aircraft could get their chance whereas at present they are not even in the ballpark, once an aircraft from a specific country is selected that country goes to the back of the queue,

regards,    Terry

Russian planes, please. They are very beautiful and there are very few plans of them. Warbirds and not warbirds. Planes of other countries there are a lot of plans of them. However the last decision must be taken by Tony as the most important thing to design and build a plane is that plane he like.

polikarpovs are awsome .ive seen them fly at our new zealand airshow.
Its great to see these sugestions for countries starting to come out,.
how about i have a count up over the next three or four days and see what looks to be leading in the way of countries. it may give the editors a direction for next year , then maybe look at style latter.
its only a suggestion but im keen too see what we all come up with ,are you.
Thanks
Kiwi Graeme

How about this one from Germany don't think it ever flew but there were some wind tunnel tests conducted and a few photographs of those tests do exist, it is a twin but the square design might make it a simple build something a bit different from the FW boys, could you imagine this as a bomber over London in the forty's.

A cool canard. germany 1.
you could say does it count.
yea I reckon it should, after all if it was a prototype, but finding data may be a problem.
May be the designer can use a little imagination and make it to suit his building needs.
Thanks
Kiwi graeme

Ahh yes the Focke Wulf 42.

There are claims that three prototypes were built in 1934 and flight tested. This I find to be a little unbelievable, due to l;ack of photographs, or reference to the type in some of the more definative reference books and sources.

It seems to have been a development of the FW Ente (duck), which certainly flew, and also was responsible for the death of of Wulf.

I guess that in 1934, for a country that was not allowed aircraft, the risk of building a weapon that did not perform properly was not worth taking.

Erfolg

how did you get the picture and place in the text?

Well the debate goes on.....

What I would say is...i think the way the voting works, is fine....What RCM&E are looking for (other than to produce an interesting magazine) is a popular choice that will hopfully make them some money out of the canopy sales, the cnc pack sales etc etc...... The Typhoon and Hurricane have proved that, and have been very successful (even though earier examples exist in the plans service1)

The Lysander I'm sure will be equally as popular but it's not doing me any favours....it hasen't been easy to design!.....Even so a promise is a promise and the winner gets to be a plan.

What the voting does for me is guide me towards popular  subjects I hadn't previously thought of.  The Whrlwind WILL be plan in the future because I personally like the aircraft but more importantly it has the popularity (as has been demonstrated).......a sure fire winner as far as I'm concerned.

Just an up-date on the Lysander........the laser parts from SLEC should be with me today, so I may be building by the weekend. 

Happy days....tony

Well done Tony, the Lysander looks like a dumpy high wing mono and nothing special about the design until you get into the actual aerodynamics and structure and then it isnt that simple.
I have the W.A Wylam plans which are four sheets at 1/4 scale and packed with detail and its only when you start studying plans like that you realise just how complicated the Lysander structure was, made many aircraft look like a freebie give-away with a box of  Rice Crispies,

regards.     Terry

Hi Tony,
               German experimentals are a favourite of mine and to be honest I wouldnt disbelieve the story that this basic design originated in 1934, The Hortons were working on a fighter flying wing  design at that time plus Herr Lipisch had a few ideas of his own.
The illustration shows an aircraft that is bulky and lacks finesse, it has a blunt nose with a boiled egg turrwt plonked on top, now take it forward about eight years and you would have much better aerodynamics with more powerful engines, the manned turret would have disappeared in favour of the remote barbette used on the Arado 240 and Me 410.
One thing I dont see the point of is a Canard wing on a bomber because it doesnt need high performance agility like a fighter, but there again in 1934 the Canard was a new concept so 'suck it and see' I suppose,

regards,            Terry

One question.
Why has this thread been started and put beside pick a plane if a change was'nt needed.
Why chat about other planes and ask for ideas if they,re not required .
If the system works(obivously it has with fine planes coming to the top) why ask for ideas.
Thanks
Kiwi Graeme

If the system works(obivously it has with fine planes coming to the top) why ask for ideas.

In my view with the present system we will continue to stay in a rut with warbirds and probably RAF dominating just as it has for the past four years, if we carry on like this it will be about 2048 before we run out of British aircraft and will then probably start all over again with a Spitfire.
We forget that RCM&E isnt just on magazine racks in the UK but in your homeland and the U.S and Canada and all over Europe, I am sure all those people would like to have a chance of one of their nations aircraft being selected but with the present system they have no chance because there are far more UK subscribers/buyers than other nationalities,

regards,             Terry

I fancy the Grumman XF5F Skyrocket, another experimental would be the Mighty Manx HP75, or something like the Bloody Mary pseudo golden airliner 1920ish style that was featured some time back that you can let your imagination run wild with the extras 

If I hadn't wanted to build a larger scale lysander, i would not have voted, i would have just watched the proceedings, but now that i have some money burning a hole in my pocket and an OS 48 literally burning a hole in my pocket i can't wait!

Hurry  Tony!!! i don't know how much longer i can keep sane!!!

It will be a pleasant surprise from the small depron models i used to build! but i am quietly confident and i have an experienced dad (and grandad!) who i hope will guide me through the hard bits of it. It would probably be a more long term construction project, like my dad's flair puppeteer which took him over a year to build!

Totally agree with you terry
just as we start getting ideas for a theme( country) we get told all is good and not required..
You guys have all made good suggestions and comments,but why did they ask if its not to be required.
The system works for ww2 british aircraft
Thanks
kiwi graeme

Hi Terry, I have the Multiplex sonic liner ( purchased in a moment of electronic weakness not overly popular in my neck of the woods ) which as I am sure you are aware is kind of a knock off of the Boeing experimental passenger liner that never came to pass a few years ago, anyway this SL has a canard and it makes for a very controllable model with a very slow stall speed and as soon as the nose drops it start flying again this could be some of the reasoning behind the design of the FW42, according to the "specs" Here it was not a fast aircraft and landed at only 53 mph,  with two tractor engines as opposed to pusher's ( jet or prop ) there should be sufficient airflow over the rudder and ailerons to give good control at low speeds, I think it would make an interesting and unusual model that should not be too difficult to build or fly, if my drafting skills were better I would certainly give it a go.  There is also a small static model produced Here just scroll down the page and enjoy some of the wierd and wonderfull things that could be modelled.

Erfolg I just highlighted the piccy, right click for copy and then used the paste symbol in the dialogue box on this page/thread.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 23/04/2009 03:23:22

Graeme 

This thread was started so folks could discuss the models voted for which, from past experience, they like to do - not for suggestions as to how the voting/winner should be found.

Having said that, you can chat about what you like of course, we're always happy to hear suggestions and may do things differently next year based on those suggestions.  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 23/04/2009 08:42:09

Sure, what folks talk about is up them them of course Graeme, despite the threads original intention. We'll have a good long 'think' and talk to Tony later this year re 2010.  

To be honest, whatever we do in the future will be very much in line with Tony's thoughts, he's the man doing the hard work so we'll always respect his preferences.

Tony R, re fw42, looks interesting, It is a certain possiblity, I know nothing about canards, but the same principles apply. A mate of mine is going to draw one up, and experiment with it.
Tony N,the statement that you have made, re Whirlywind, does my heart good.
There is a god after all, I will await in earnest interest,              thank you  T.N
YES YES YES , .................Whirlwind lovers unite..............Barry

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 23/04/2009 13:53:16