Zulu E

Tony Cooper

Advert

After a lot of soul searching,I'm thinking that a Tiger pattern will be much less demanding than the thousand of differant spot's on the leopard.

Tho I am debating whether to go with the stock tail drager or tricycle gear! A lot of the single engine African Bush plane's I have found run tricycle gear(Cessna 172/185 etc)

Ken

Edited By Ken Latam on 26/03/2009 04:07:11

Edited By Ken Latam on 26/03/2009 04:08:13

Edited By Ken Latam on 26/03/2009 04:10:14

Edited By Ken Latam on 26/03/2009 04:12:04

Hi Ken, certainly thought about tricycle gear myself originally but I was keen to keep the overall design weight down. With two wheels behind the CG and beefed up front bulkhead and nose wheel the chances are you might need some additional nose weight. Certainly if you go that way make sure you up the power a bit if you go electric, the OS30 should be fine though. I still have the sketch with 3 quite large wheels, it did look good.

Lindsay 

I don't think nose weight will be an issue.  These are the wheel's I am going to use,made by Trexler. The more I look at them, the more I think a tail dragger is the way to go.
 pic

This is a Cessna 180 with the same style Bush Wheel's. Funny looking but VERY effective on soft or ruff ground.

pic
ken

Edited By Ken Latam on 27/03/2009 01:54:31

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 09/05/2009 06:18:07

After speeking to the Trexler people,Will need to use the 2 3/4 wheel's as the 2 1/2 and smaller are made with very thin rubber for use on plane's of much less than 1 lb while the 2 3/4 are rated for 6 to 8 lb max. That extra 1/4 inch stll looks good.

ken

Now then an extra 1/4 inch eh  seriously though thanks for the info me and a mate are looking for them he has a vintage model that came with them. he's had it 20 years and the tyres won't stay up too long now guess the latex is finally getting porous still good life expectancy eh

• 1 month later...
Hiya Lindsay,
well it's flown.
This is a well balanced relaxing flyer, seeing as my daughter wanted it built and she decided on the colour scheme,i let her have a go at flying it as well(she's 8).
She had a beaming smile just like me, this plane will be going with me most times i go flying.
nice one Lindsay.

By the way,...how's the Twin going.Have you finished her yet and has she flown.

cheers
vince

Vinnie, thats superb news, glad she has brought a smile to your daughter too, that makes it extra special. Hope you have lots of fun with it.

The Grumman Goose has now flown, infact there are some photos and a link to the 2nd flight video that just to make things interresting was from water!

She's proved to be great and will be a plan feature in RCM&E.
here is the video link

Lindsay 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH  Lindsay,
I want one, that is absolutely superb, congrats mate.
What is the running gear in it,(give me a head start ).
What an outstanding job,i just love the fact that all the best designer,builders are all under one roof in the best mag.
Iv'e gotta have it........i suppose it's to early to say when it will be ready for print ,but....PLEASE...let me know when it's gonna be available.

Thanks for the preview,it's on top of my list and im already twiddling my thumbs drooling...........

• 2 months later...
Twin Zulu E now on the go. Well I've been flying my original one for over a year or so now so whilst sketching some thoughts out I figured it would lend itself to a twin set up and with a streched rounded nose and a couple of simple nacels it took the look of some sort of Beach Twin type and looked quite smart. Should not take long before first flight so I'll keep posting as it progresses.

• 1 month later...
Just found this thread and Posting to say thankyou to Lindsay, reasons HERE your free plan in RCM&E of ZULU-E got me back into this wonderfull past time, My ZULU is more wasp than zebra, as soon as I can i'll post up picks, cant wait till i've got the skills to not crash, and fly her,  Many Thanks, Phil.