Kestrel autogyro

derek critcher 2

• 2 months later...
Advert

to Kevin, re Kestrel
Hi I have not been able to get the information re CoG and have set mine up at 1.3/4in
from the leading edge. I have attempted to fly twice but the wind has been a little too strong
and the model has blown over and broken a rotor blade. I think this may be a weak point in the design and. think a length of piano wire set into the L/E of the rotors may be a good idea.
I am also going to try using an aluminium  hub in the shape of a cross as I feel I will be able to make a more positive and accurate dihedral and angle of attack to the rotors 
Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Done a little more on her today.

The blades have been painted matt black and given 2 coats of Poly-C.

The wing has been covered. Yellow Solartex.

A question for you all to ponder.

In the magazine article and on the plan it tells you to build two sets of blades, one the mirror of the other. So when you put the rotors on the wing, which way should they rotate?

Did that make any sense..??

• 1 month later...
First two flights successfully survived !
She resulted a little nose heavy so that 95 Gr of lead in the rear was just enough to achieve the CG at 45mm / 1 3/4" behind leading edge. Final zero fuel weight :1850 Gr.
Taxi test runs showed good response and feeling. All throws as by plan indicated.
Maiden flight took place on july  11th, no flights possible on the 18th due wind conditions. First flight was a little twitchy due excesive rudder response, corrected to 50% expo. and 2nd flight was a delight, and Cyril was absolutely right: its a delight to fly and a real head turner !
Hope to place video after next weekend. You will find it on our club site; www.rcvoltor.com
Thanks to all those who helped!
P.S.: the next one is been built by a club mate, guess it won't be the last one.

• 3 weeks later...
Seems like long ago that I built this.

Anyway the maiden was today. Took off like a scalded cat before the rotors started to turn. That took me a little by suprise.

Flew well with no trim required. The engine was not running 100% so bought her in for a landing!  Was a little short and she ended in the rough stuff. One blade broken. Will build another this week and try again.

What did I learn? Well. It is many tears since I flew 3 channels, and I need to keep it in a little(lot) closer.. Dissorientiation was a big problem for me.

Will post picture of the damged roter in a day or two.

• 1 year later...
Only just found this thread.

I built a version of Kestrel in 2009 converted to electric.

Same problem with CoG but followed the route from my small autogyros balanced just behind the rotor masts to give slight nose down attitude.

Despite the time lapse I hav estill not flown her, but taxi trials showed up two issues.

I found that with the rotors mounted one way that the propwash cancelled out the forward motion and the rotors stopped ! Reveresd the rotors and blades ru up fine, but so far only fast taxi runs!

Details for interest/comments are:

Outrunner 300 watts running off 3 cell x 2200maH Lipo

12 x 6 APC glass/nylon prop

PIctures below:

The others are a full bodied Al foot Twirly (Blue) and a 2/3 rd size for Indoor(Red)

• 4 years later...