anyone agree with my view(pardon the pun) of the flycam one-i bought mine 8 months ago and have tried several times to get some decent quality video and decent quality still pic's--the ones it has taken haven been acceptable(just) but nothing spectacular--i'm not expecting steven speilburg stuff-but comming fron a 35mm/digi vid/digi camera neck of the woods-the flycam is a bit of a dissapointment-anyone agree/disagree?

ken anderson

Advert

Hi Ken
Not sure I agree with you.
For its size and weight I was not expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. There is a lot of FlyCam One stuff on Utube to give you an idea of what others considered "normal".
By far my biggest complaint is its very short battery life when it gets cold but apart from that I think it 'does what it says on the tin' and the box it comes in is rather cute. 

Ken,

I've been pretty happy with mine, quality wise, the only fault is a pronounced vignetting but I suppose you have to expect that with such a small lens and focal length.

Simon,

Agree about the cold weather performance of the battery, I notice BRC are selling a larger capacity battery pack, I wonder if that will suffer with similar cold weather performance?

• 3 weeks later...
looks ok to me Ken. I,ve been holding off in getting one as I have been a little dissapointed with the examples I've seen, but thats an acceptable image for sure!
I have a Nokia E61i phone, and it takes great images and video, need to find a way of mounting it though it maybe a tad heavy, but it's a small lens too, so they can produce the desired effect!
Is there any alternatives or competition to the flycam?

I think you can just about see what I meant about the vignetting from Ken's shot (like you've had a lazy window cleaner that doesn't get into the corners!) but it is more pronounced on views with less variation in colour/shade.  Not really a problem though and, as I said before, you can't really expect any more from such a short focal length (and a cheap price!).

hello david-our site is recreation ground owned by our council-your right the circles are for the foodmixer's(heli's) and if we do get a visit-for the little green lad's as well-at the top of the pic are some tree's planted aprox 10 year's ago-now about 20ft high-they do cause problem's sometime's-depending which way the wind is blowing-at the bottom of the pic the sea is aprox 500yard's away-so we nearly allway's have wind---we are 14mile's from newcastle upon tyne airport--the local radio commented not long ago that n/castle airport is not one of the airline pilot's favourite' because of the wind's......................they don't like it up em......who said that again?..........

ken anderson.....

Hi Chris, found the flycam site downloaded the manual and upgraded the firmware. tested it and it works great, hope to post some pics of my site when we get some weather to fly.
cheers David

Ken, the pics deceptive, it looks really clear around the field.
Shall we open a thread for field pics on flycams? maybe see if i get the weather.
D

Hi Ken,
Nice pic - better quality than most I've seen from the Flycam. Surprising what editing can do to improve the raw image. Certainly gives me cause for greater consideration in the future.
However, I'd be very careful about publishing photo's like that - I can see what appears to be a line of small circles heading up from the bottom helipad towards the end of the strip. Next thing you'll know is that geophys will be all over the field and Mick will be putting in a couple of trenches across the runway!

Pete 

• 1 month later...
I brought an RC Hero camera in the US recently, it's brill, can take pics every 3 sec or 10 sec, at 5mp resolution, and video at TV quality 640 x 480. Comes with a waterprrof casing, (removable) for boats, and various mouting options, for about $150 and records to SD card for up to an hour on a 2gb using video. I will try and post sample later.

I've wanted one for ages, but would not buy a flycam, cause what I've seen were c*!p !