Flight sim

Neil Hammond

Just bought a copy of the RC Planemaster flight sim - absolute baragin for £20!

No idea how realistic it really is but it is huge fun and just shows how broke I'd be if I just went off and flew because I've crashed in the sim about 30 times in 1 hour!!

I don't have too many problems in Chase view (years of playing on PC flight sims, I guess) but very different in 'Standing' mode. My main problems are:

1. Can't tell which way the plane is flying when it is far off. I keep banking the wrong way and end up even further away than I started! Rather worrying for the real thing...

2. Very difficult when having to reverse controls (when flying towards me, for example) - I keep diving into the ground because I'm banked over and I correct the wrong way! Very annoying...got to get used to imagining myself in the pilots seat.

3. Landing - can't! Actually, managed it once (in about 20 attempts) with the Spitfire, strangely. However, I think that is more a limitation of the 2D world of the sim - no peripheral vision to see where the runway is.

Practice is the answer, I'm sure...

Advert

1) Don't fly so far away you can't see it

2) I have never found trying to imagine I'm in the cockpit in the least bit helpful despite reading it as advice over and over. If you don't know which way to go you simply haven't mastered it enough to fly a model - you won't have time to stop and think with the actual model so practice the sim until it is totally automatic to go the right way.

3) True, it is dead hard to land in RC Planemaster but you can do it if you use the background scenery to line up. It is much easier to land well in the more expensive sims like Phoenix because even though there is no true depth perception the higher scenery quality seems to help out

In all I think it is actually easier to fly the models but the sims are a great way to start.

PS Landing is always the hard part, trust me if landing was easy everyone would be able to fly aeroplanes, they keep it that way to make it exclusive

Yep Stefan, I heard that one as well. Works for me. RC Planemaster is great for £20, but after a while it does get really easy, and not that realistic. But well worth £20. Which plane are you flying? Suggest the 4 channel trainer as it's perfect for learning basic controls.

I spent a long time trying to perfect figure 8 turns and proper circuits although it gets a bit dull. At which point I switch to the Spitfire and play with that THat's easy to land once you've spent hours landing the trainer.

I have recently brought the Phoenix Version 2 Sim by Runtime, it is brillent. A lot of the scenery is  photographed around the Bournemouth area, the Christchurch harbour is excellent. I can recommend this sim as you use your own tx and have a selection of over 100 aircraft from trainer to jet. Phoenix is suitable for either Microsoft 2000/XP/or Vista and cost £79.99.

• 1 month later...
I have just won a copy of RC Planemaster and cannot get into the members area.  Using the given paasword I keep getting an authentication message which I cannot get past.  I emailed CML two days ago but have not got a reply yet.  Anyone know how to get around this problem.

ps I have tried the Microsoft fixes for error 401.1

• 1 month later...

So can i take it that plane master is better than FMS? as i have just signed up for RCME magazine and you get plane master as i free gift if you sign up before 8th of may i think it was,i was quite pleased as i was thinking of buying clearview flight sim for 40 usa dollers,i hope i'm as happy with it as you boys seem to be with yours lol.

• 2 weeks later...
I use RC Plane Master (on Vista) and find it much more realistic than FMS especially if you add in more variables as Timbo has already suggested.  The graphics are a bit cartoonish but the flight characteristics are quite good and much better than FMS. 

One quirk I've found with it though is that its possible to land the 'trainer' up side down without the software flagging up any damage.  The prop continues merrily spinning in the virtual ground.  However its not possible to take off again.  I haven't tried this with the other models yet but it could be interesting.

All in all well worth the £20 including the six channel usb Tx.

Luc G.

• 2 months later...