WOT 4 AR(T)F

Bladerunner

Advert

In my opinion, the Chris Foss kits, including the WOT4 have ALWAYS been ARTF.
I have assembled many of them over the 30 years I,ve been modelling, including an Acrowot which I did in just 4 nights after getting home from work ( long nights mind ) complete to full flyability stage from scratch. I built this particular one for a good friend,whilst i was suffering a severe dose of guilt, having accidentally shot his 2 week old one down the previous Sunday morning.
He couldn't believe his eyes when I presented it to him later that week, and even proclaimed it was better than his original.
I have known to take a lot longer than this on many of todays so-called ARTFs with their crappy foreign translated instructions, and ill fitting parts.
Mr Foss does make exceedingly good kits :-)

LOL. I am afraid that my quick building days have all but disappeared some time ago, along with my youthful good looks, 32" waist, and fat wallet to name but a few.....
Seriously though, I look back on it now, and do wonder what has happened. I honestly DO take longer faffing about assembling a little GWS foamy than I did an Acrowot or a Gangster etc. I have always been a bit of a meticulous person, so build quality is not the reason.
Of course having to wear 2 different types of spectacles for different range work doesn't help one bit !!
I am depressed now, 'cos I also used to have 20 /20 vision back in the old balsa days :(

In my opinion the Wot 4 Mk III is the best sports model ever built. Chriss Foss designs are all excellent, easy to built, very light and out perform the rest. In my stable I have 43 models but I can guarantee you that my Wots are the best of them. I use Profilm for covering which is very durable and lasts many many years. No Chinese model can last that long. I just cannot live without my Wot 4's. My Suzuki personalised number plate is "Wot 4".

Hi all,I have to agree with David Ashby about the wot 4 .It is a rugged sport model ,able to stand up to a lot of abuse and has super flying qualities.I have over the years owned and built many of these models . However I do have to mention the quality of the veneer Chriss Foss uses on the wings of his kits. It appears to be similar to the obeechi used some time ago but now has large open grain which splits of its own volition. During the last year or so I have built a Extra Wot (a superb flying machine ) and a Wot 4 for a club mate . The veneer on the wings was horrible on both models and since the models have been covered the veneer has split causing lines to show through the covering.This has happened despite keeping the models in a stable environment and keeping the foam covers on until the wings were covered with pro film. Have any of you experienced the same ?

Dear all. Regarding the veneer which has split causing lines through the covering,has also happened to me. I thought it's because here in Malta we have high temperatures but it seems common everywhere.I experienced, much worse, on my 3 Precedent Fun-Fly models, all powered by the excellent Irvine 36 ABC. Regarding David Smith, it's not how much Wots you have built but how often you fly them. I imagine that weather in Finland is severe while here in Malta we are blessed with good weather all year round. For example, in January 2007 we had an average temperature of 22 deg celsius and sea temperature of 18. We wear shorts and t-shirts to go flying. If your ASP/SC engines throttles better and are more powerful than YS engines, well you know better than me cos I never had ASP or SC 4-strokes. Let me suggest to you, keep the front of the model light if you want to knife edge up and down the runway. Mine are all powered by Thunder Tigre 46 Pro ABC which is light and gives 2:1 power to weight ratio. Hope you have lots of hours having fun flying.

Hi Bladerunner. Do look at YS 63 they are suberbly powerful and reliable motors.the YS is much lighter than a Saito and probably just as powerful . A lighter airframe will fly and behave much better. The last wot 4 I built was fitted with a YS 45 two stroke and a Weston throttle pipe , the owners choice. This set up is heavier than the Four stroke set up but I think the pipe will more than make up for that.
Happy landings
Phil

Having returned to model flying after a long break (15 years) i was shocked when visiting a model shop, in Shrewsbury, that they had no models to build? Just ARTF which although the thought of flying in just 5-6 hours sounded great the word MODELLING has actually disapeared. I therefore purchased a Blackhourse model superfly and put it together in just a few nights. I joined a local club in Lincolnshire (where i now live) and turned up with my model to be told that it was not really a good re-starter for my return to modelling! I therefore returned home and immediately set about building a wot four (my 3rd-4th?)from bits in the loft then I returned to the field the next Sunday and with a BUDDY BOX! set up flew solo after just two flights with the club instructor and it was a wonderful return with what i feel(thank you Mr Foss) was the perfect airplane. Perhaps my Blackhourse model MAY proove as friendly and forgiving(one day) i do hope so!

Hi Roger I am glad I wasn't the only one to have had problems wth the veneer. I have looked at Chris foss' web site but it doesn't seem to have e-mail contact .I still like the Foss hanger and wonder wether he would supply kits with balsa covered wings . He might even pick up on this forum ! .I tried using thinned non shrinking dope . This seemed to slow the process down for a while . I'll try the clear coat method on the next build. As said in earlier posts,it doesn't seem to affect the performance or strenght ,it just looks Rubbish .

An idea, This web site could do with a list of manufacturers who actually produce real kits. The directors of the site could provide a place for the list, the members of the forum could help by providing the ideas and suggestions.
Hear is a start:-
Sig.
Balsa USA
DB Sport and Scale
Come on the rest of you, there must be more out there.