Duplicate of SC (ASP) FS400AR 5 Cylinder Radial

Martin Harris - Moderator

Hi. I have a FS400AR SC radial in my ¼ scale Stearman.

The instructions that come with the engine leave a lot to the imagination (literally) it has an on board glow system powered by a 13000mah NiMh which dose the job very well.

My problem is that I still can not get it to run smoothly. The idle is reasonable but takes 2-3 seconds to pick up when the throttle is opened. The top end is lumpy. The needle is open 1 turn and if I open it any more it runs too rich and if I close it any more it runs to lean and dies. When I say open / close Im talking 1/8 turn.

There is also a breather nipple on the bottom of the engine. By all accounts following standard 4 stroke logic this should be open. If I leave it open it turns into a leak and fuel /oil goes every ware, the engine will not start. If I close the nipple the engine starts perfectly and runs as above but oil leaks from the push rod covers. When I open the nipple after a run I get an abnormal amount of oil from the crank case.

The fuel I am using is 10%nitro, 18%oil the rest methanol.

Any one had the same problem or any suggestions.

Regards

Kevin.

Advert

Kevin,

You're a lucky so and so to have such an interesting lump to play with!

Why don't you download the OS manual for their 5 cylinder radial

...which I suspect will be very similar?  Page 15 seems relevant...the nipple is a drain plug and should be in place for running.

I suspect (never having been lucky enough to own anything like this) that the idle mixture may be grossly rich, giving a slow transition.  Probably not helped by the volume of the common induction chamber that I suspect your engine uses?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...