What is LiPo Puffing?

Gemma Jane

Hi, well it might sound daft but what does a LiPo actually look like when it puffs? I hear the term all the time but have never seen a picture or found an explanation of how to recognise it. Is it the outer wrapper that puffs up or the inner cells?

Confused of Essex who is wondering if one of her cells has gone puffy after it was accidentally discharged at too high a rate

Also is there any test to tell if the cell has had its day? I have gleaned that puffing is due to chemical changes in the cell, so I assume one could test the fully charged voltage and now if a cell was at the end of its life?

Advert

I got a forbidden message when I tried the link Bert.

It's the outer surface under the wrap, it is usually hard but has gone sort of squiggy - I just want confirmation that it is actually puffed as I've got dozens off them yet have never seen it before - if so I shall dispatch it to the lipo graveyard

gemma-treat the thing with care-as they are dodgy when they are swollen(puffed)i have seen a one go off-they can do a lot damage to anything/one in the close proximity best discharge totally-put a couple of slit's in the pouch's-drown them in salt water for a couple of hour's-bingo one dead /safe lipo that can be disposed of with normal waste

ken anderson................................
i

Well it is nothing like Bert's picture, but it is different to other identical packs I have, so I'm taking no chances and have wired it up to a 12V auto bulb and left it to discharge in the garage away from anything that could combust. I shall then carry out the slicing and drowning ritual.

Thanks for the help

Will do Stephen
It sure is the work of the devil. I've finally sat down and put together a spread sheet utilising much of what Timbo has said on the forums and other bits and pieces I've gleaned regarding LiPo 'C' ratings and other such trickery from the internet.

It's odd really, with it all laid out in front of me for each of my batteries, I sort of look at it and think, "that isn't actually that difficult - in fact it is sort of obvious" - it only took me two years to get around to it though  

Hopefully then not too many more LiPo burial rituals will be needed and the devil can be kept at bay... though I guess a visit from the devil might liven up an otherwise dull and miserable Monday afternoon.

Hi Gemma,
Well at least it is fortunate that you have a few other lipos to use and that it wont stop you flying. Out of interest can i ask what type of lipo was it, brand capacity etc and how long you have had it and what it was used for. I collecting relvant data of this type.

Either post here or your very welcome to pm me.
Thankyou, Josh

It was a Thunder Power 3s 2100 15C  Josh, I have a number of them that have given great service in my modified HZ Cub with brushless motor. Unfortunately I was bench testing a different model that I had not intended to use the battery for and I rather over cooked it. Nothing to do with the battery, entirely my fault.

After discharging it I've no doubt now what puffing is, it was like a melon, hubby was sent to the top of the garden to stab it and drop it in a jar of salt over night.

Disposing of a lipo safely is easy and safe to do. Just fill a bucket or container with saltwater and pop in in. Do it outside to be on the safe side, but there's no need to stab it or anything. Leave it for 24hrs, remove and check the cells are dead with a voltmeter, and dispose of as a normal battery in your rubbish.

That's it.

Quote from Lithium wikipedia:

Lithium metal is flammable and potentially explosive when exposed to air and especially water, though it is far less dangerous than other alkali metals in this regard. The lithium-water reaction at normal temperatures is brisk but not violent. Lithium fires are difficult to extinguish, requiring special chemicals designed to smother them (see sodium
for details).

Does placing a LiPo in salt water cause the lithium to burn off even if the pack is not punctured?

Placing the pack in salt water allows it to discharge at a slow, safe rate. There is very little lithium in a lipo cell which is why the flames don't last very long when they burn. After they have been fully discharged there is practically no fire risk and they can be placed in the normal household rubbish for disposal.
Bert

The salt water soaking is nothing to do with combustion - it is merely to finish off discharging the cells completely - salt water as you probably know is a reasonably good conductor of of electricity.
The correct method of LiPo disposal ( as mentioned many times on the forum, and covered extensivel elsewhere, including my recent article in the mag ) is to dischrge the pack using a car headlamp bulb or similar, until a meter shows 0V, in other words completely "flat". Then , if possible, carefully slit along the seams of the pouches of each cell, immerse in the salt water for say 24 hours or so - then bin it.