Black Horse Chipmunk,

weasel

Advert

First off, how does it compare with the all up weight quoted for the model?

Which end have you stuck the local church roof in?

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke SC52? 

The recommended engines go up to a 91 4 stroke which seems rather excessive based on my experience of the Airsail kit which is @ 5" larger span and weighs 8 lbs dry and flies very adequately on a 52 4 stroke.  Of course, the 91 4 stroke will be considerably heavier than either a 52 2 or 4 stroke which may explain the lead required assuming it's in the noisy end....

As the engine is ahead of the bulkhead then a heavier engine would reduce the AUW to achieve the same C of G.  Sometimes, putting a larger engine in can spoil a model by making it too heavy but in this case you need the weight anyway.

Perhaps someone out there with experience of the actual Black Horse model would be better placed to make a recommendation before you spend any money and of course, it depends on whether you're looking for scale performance or just want to fly it like a sports model.

...and of course, you can always use the throttle if you go larger!

Hi Weasel lm flying a chippie from blackhorse with a OS91 4stk supass ,ive also put the rx batt on top of the engine bulkhead and some lead inside under the tank shelf to ballance l did some mods to mine eg scale exhaust and stuff so you will have to play around with yours  it flys realy nice  l hope  this helps.......................mark

Hi Weasel,

With a Saito 100 fitted 5mm forward of the suggested position and a 5 cell AA pack as far forward as possible, mine balances 10mm behind the suggested C of G ie. 90mm from leading edge. In flight it is very pitch stable and gives the impression that the C of G could be even further back. I think that Blackhorse have suggested a very conservative C of G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
The only reason for shoving the engine forward was to make it fit. There isn't quite enough clearance for the carb on a Saito.

Maybe you used rather a lot of epoxy on the firewall

Hello biggles, i had to add a canny bit of lead to the front end and also the battrey was on the front engine mount box. it flew well untill a mid air with a ready trainer put pay to it.
Hope see you again this year at the walsall fly in.
Regards Weasel.....