Rx battery Placement

Bruce Richards

I am just completing the assembly of a Seagull Extra 300S and to get the CofG at the right place I was considering cable tying the Rx battery to the engine mount. Has anyone ever done this before? I am concerned that heat from the engine will affect the Nmhi battery.

It has gone together really easily an looks a nice model. I do not want to add dead weight just to get it to balance.

Advert

Bruce,

I have gone slightly over the top with a Super Tigre 90 (but it shouldn't be appreciably heavier than your 75, I'd have thought) as it was the only suitable engine I had when (thanks David and Co.) I rather unexpectedly won the model on an email comp on this site.

I marked the  C of G using a string stretched between the specified wingtip positions onto the fuselage (marked with black spots in the photo below) for easier balancing.  You can see my battery at the rear of the hatch opening.

One thing I did notice when checking it is that fitting the wings made at least an inch rearward difference to the C of G position, which surprised me as I often assume the wings won't affect the C of G on models very much! Once the wings were on it did balance on the markings.

The main departures I made from standard were to substitute a SLEC tank as I was concerned about the original's capacity and eventually added canopy catches as the bolts were a pain in the wotsit!

By the way, did your tank fit in OK?  My original one wouldn't fit past a step in the front former so I needed to get the Dremel and files out anyway which simplified the decision to fit the larger tank.

Martin,

Your picture looks very different to my model. Mine is the Seagull Extra 300S .60 size and there is no canopy hatch. Access to gear is buy removing the wing which is in one piece and fits on from below.

My tank fitted perfectly but does look a bit small. I have now fitted the cowl , which I did not think would make much difference, and I think I can get away with the battery on top of the front of the tank.

Thanks for your help