Twister skylift problems

Paul  Williams

Bought one second hand and I cant get the dam thing to do anything. I tried testing the Rx with a sep battery and servo it seemed dead so I fitted another RX (not out of a twister) and got some success. plug in the rudder and throttle plugs and the motors seem to work ok (solid green light on ESC unit) but then should I plug in the two servos it all goes to rat ++++ and green light goes red. I have tried different servos so thats not the problem. Funny thing is just plug in the two servos without esc and they work fine.

So its only when all four plugs are connected it wont work. Does the heli have a special RX or should a standard one be ok.

Confused

Advert

Hi Paul
The rx in the sky lift has to control all 4 motors as seprate units, so will be made to suit the sky lift only, and if you use a cx 4 in to 1 I dont think this will work, so as you have found out that the parts all work the only think to do is get a sky lift rx, and I think your problems will be at an end, hope this helps.

all the best Owen.

Hi, I have most of a couple of these things and I found out real quick that the electronics is, like the rest of it, rather fragile and short lived.

I found that the receiver is no great shakes to replace, pretty much any rx/ 4 channel receiver can be made to work O.K. with the "four in one" box, BUT  the four in one box can die in the most interesting ways...  Mine (when I accidentally put a connection to the receiver in the wrong way round, doh!) started doing exactly what you describe, It apparently worked on occasion but didn't most of the time. It was also very sensitive to how many, and in what order, the leads were connected.

I was lucky enough to win the core of a skylift with good electronics, so as I could mix and match,for diagnostic purposes, whilst my 4 in 1 was performing it's dance of death, and subsequently was able to verify that I could use a couple of different receivers to fly my skylift, with the new unstuffed 4 in 1.

As someone has already pointed out, a new 4 in 1 box is 30 to 40 quid, and when you get a new one you still have the same lack of quality to contend with, SO, I got seperate components and am currently building a second skylift using a couple of esky esc's a  heading hold gyro from ebay, and an "elevon servo" mixing lead.  I also will be using a 8 channel receiver (so that I can add a tiny winch and some switcheable lights later...)

Early indications are that this lash-up works as I expected, but I need to get some "balance bars" and tidy up the wiring before I can try and fly it...

Then I will be looking for some busted servo's to cannibalise for the electronics, to fabricate my winch...

Cheers, Steve C. 

• 3 weeks later...