Alternatives to DX6i?

David E

I could get the DX7 for £250 from SMC with a receiver and no servos. There's no point buying without a receiver as I'll be needing one. The question is, what would I get for an extra £120? I know there's an extra channel. What kind of models would this be useful in? Apart from a bigger screen, better computer input controls (I hear the roller selector on the DX6i isn't great) probably better quality pots etc, what would I gain? Are there more programming options? I brief glance through the manual of each revealed the same mixing options, but I may have missed something.

I can easily imagine having a model with gear and flaps, what would another channel be used for? Airbrake? Any other applications I'm overlooking? Am I right in thinking that for either controller, you only have proportional control over 4 channels anyway, you get (olne or two?) switches to play with, and the rest has is done via mixing?

Should I try elsewhere for a better price on this?

It's gutting reading around to see how cheaply the DX6i was available not that long ago. Guess it's all to do with the awfully weak pound

Advert

David

The roller selction is not an issue, works quite well in my opinion, looks like JR are using it on their new sets.

With the Dx6i channels 5 & 6 are switched only or mixed with other channels, this is a limitation and why I still fly my planes with flaps with my Cockpit Sx (35mhz) because this is much better in this respect.

Good point Tim, memory getting bad, sorry!

What do free mixes do? Do they allow you to add motion from any proportional input to any control output, eg when you throttle up, put in some rudder, to compensate torque effects? Are they the same thing as P-mixes? (of which I see the DX6i has 2 from the specs) Presumably you use on of these mixes for CP helis to control the throttle? What kid of things do people like to do with them with fixed wing?

And the flight mode switch, is this for things like whether throttle stick at zero means low throttle or high throttle with reverse pitch on a CP heli? Again, what do people use this kind of thing for on fixed wing? A different set up for takeoff, aerobatics and landing?

Sorry, so many questions - I really don't know a great deal about all this and just trying to work out how much use I'd get from the extra features.

Glad to hear the roller is ok. Just heard one or two mildly bad opinions on it. 

Free mixes are exactly as you summise. The other 2 are fixed in so much as they are used for delta / elevon mixing, and flapperons /spoilerons.
Flight mode means you can set up one set of particualr mixing combos for flight mode position 1 and others for the other positions. As an example, I have a sloper which deploys both spoilerons and reflex of the wing  - I set up mixes so that ailerons work as flapperons, and the flight mode switch is set to .....
pos N ( normal ) the wing is normal with no reflex or flap
pos1 the ailerons both deflect slightly up in reflex to increase forward speed slightly with less lifting action.
pos2 both ailerons deflect up as spoilers  - but only when the throttle stick is pulled back to "idle" - then when on landing approach, I pull switch to pos 2, but nothing happens UNTIL i move the throttle stick fully back - at this point spoilerons are active to dump the lift and shorten my glide angle.
The mode switch can also be deployed on power models to set up "auto landing" for instance.
In landing mode position, lowering the throttle can drop flaps, and add in compensatory ( adjustable amounts ) of elevator
Typical free mix would be something like rudder to aileron to improve the turning of some models.

Thanks Tim, feel I understand the specs a bit better now.

Am I right to think that the DX7 doesn't have any proportional inputs other than the sticks?

I can imagine the extra channel, flight mode and mixers would all be useful for something like an aircraft with canards, should I ever get to something that advanced.

Time for some um-ing and ah-ing about which to go for I think.  Probably the DX6i, but not sure.

Correct. The only thing I do occcasionally miss from ny PCM9X is the slider ( proportional) side levers for flaps. However, using flight mode , one can at least have 3 degrees of flap movement as it were.
I would say that Tx s are a bit like chargers - if you are not careful, you end up regretting not spending that little bit more on the better one you fancied, but thought you
a) couldnt really afford
b) didnt think you would need the facilities it provided.

As with most things high tech, you do outgrow the features sooner rather than later.

Although the DX6i is a great VFM unit, the DX7 certainly has the edge in features, and general build quality / feel IMO
Its your call  - of course......

Am in the same situation as you David am wanting a DX6i badly. I am coming back to this hobby after much time in the past spent with RTF aircraft. I have recently bought a nice new ST cessna 182, lipos, charger and am all ready to go but with no TX not much is going to happen.

So you think SMC might have some DX6i's at the end of this week?  SMC current price of £130 is quite over the odds for the DX6i I have noticed, strange as they are normally pretty good with their prices.

I started looking at the DX7 but the price difference is just too much of a jump and does not seem like good value for money for someone that is wanting to start out.

Have to say spektrum doesn't exactly fill me with alot of confidence with this recall.

"Have to say spektrum doesn't exactly fill me with alot of confidence with this recall."

Yeah, me too. I also found out somewhere else that there is a software bug in the DX6i that means that you can't use the free mixes with the throttle as slaves. You can program it, but it just doesn't work.  This means that you can't set up thrust differential rudder. Not a big deal, but makes me feel less confident in the overall quality of the unit. I've heard that there are lots of people who are happy with them though.

I gave SMC a call asking if they had any date to when they will expect the DX6i... they had no answer for me

This is really getting on my nerves now.. I see some on ebay but it is not worth the risk picking up a bad one.. besides a controller is such a physical thing that goes through alot of wear it would be much wiser buying new or at least seeing before buying a 2nd hand one.

Humm... what to do? If it weren't for the fact that I've heard that people who sent their unit in are starting to receive replacement units, I would think that Horizon hadn't figured out what to do with them. It seems very strange that they can't give shops estimates of when new stock will be available. Perhaps they're having to check every new batch that comes in for the same fault?

In the end, I ordered a DX7 from Inwoods, even though they have the DX6i back in stock now. They have lowered the DX7 price so it doesn't work out so much more expensive any more. So looking forward to that turning up in the next few days...

Edited By David E on 18/03/2009 21:36:25

They do have the DX6i in stock now, so it wasn't that I couldn't wait. I just got tired of hearing about people with broken trim switches, weird programming bugs, and strange issues buddy-boxing with DX7s, which is what I need to do. With the recall as well, my confidence in the DX6i was low enough to make me spend the extra. I figured that the extra channel, extra free mixes, extra flight mode switch position and possibly even the extra model memories would probably be end up being useful in the distant future anyway.
I paid £244.98 including battery, charger, AR7000 and postage, but no servos. I don't need the servos at the moment, and will probably be using micro servos for first couple of models anyway.

Yeah, I noticed that with their website, I think you can only access Spektrum gear through the search function, which is only available at the bottom of the home page. To be honest, I wasn't massively impressed by their web site (no pictures or product details, no obvious way to track existing orders) so I ordered by phone.

Downside is that it means it'll be longer before my wife is happy with me spending cash on models to fly! The club trainer should keep me busy for starters, anyway.

Edited By David E on 19/03/2009 12:17:51

Yeah I don't blame you for hopping onto the DX7 David the DX6i isn't exactly doing itself any favours with all these problems. Sadly I can't afford the DX7 but it is no great loss to me as I don't think I will use the feature and have my eye (already!!) on another plane.

You say they now have the fixed DX6i mode 2 in stock at inwoods? - that is great if so.

I agree their website is terrible I wouldn't of found the search bar if you hadn't mentioned where to find it.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 19/03/2009 17:55:07

Ultymate, yeah, the spec is very frugal, but I suppose people used to get along ok without all the functions that are probably taken for granted today. It is a cheap way to get into things and you get most of the benefits of DSM2 (all except model match, right?) Edit: one thing I hadn't realised is that it does have elevon (delta) mixing. For the money, I don't think it's so bad if you only intend to own one or two reasonably simple models. It just isn't what I'm looking for.

Steve, yeah, in fact they mention that the DX6i is back in stock on the home page. Give them a call to check if you like. Might be worth mentioning that you almost didn't buy it cos you couldn't find it on the website. Perhaps they'll make some improvements?

Edited By David E on 19/03/2009 17:11:45

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Fred. Already bought a DX7 as mentioned above Am really happy with it.

Off topic:
On the subject of ebay starting prices, you might find http://www.trevorginn.com/ebay-starting-prices/ interesting I've always had great success with 99p starting price, so long as previous similar items have fetched reasonable prices and you do a good listing.