I need help

Ad's

Hi i wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to get back into this hobby after a 13 year break (where does time go?) I used to be a member of a local club that I'm trying to re-join and i used to fly a WOT 4 with an OS 40 FP at the front, well its been stuck up in the loft nose high haung from the rafters all this time. I would love to get it up and running again but its all gunked up around the carb, so that the throttle arm wont open and close it so i guess that the rest of it inside  is probably the same although you can turn it over  with the prop, fells a bit gooey wondered how i go about cleaning it all up like new inside 'n' out ??? any help would be much appreciated in getting me one step closer to eventually flying again

Advert

Hi Adam,

Soaking the engine in a bath of Methylated Spirits (denatured alcohol) aught to get rid of all that verdigris.

Best of luck getting back into it again... I watched many guys yesterday battling the 30 knot prevailing westerlies with their "40" trainers...  It made me wish that I had gone that path rather than a Foamie Electric trainer.

Cheers,

Hugh

Adam if soaking alone wont free it up, try warming it a little, sit it on an old pan in a warm oven (cooker as me mother used to say) around 175-200 degree's F not Celcius fr maybe 5-7 mins DO NOT BAKE IT a little and often is way better, if you have one a sonic cleaner filled with methanol/ethanol will free it nicely, its the oil (castor I suspect) that turns to varnish and gets sticky.

Be careful of cleaners, especially the citrus based ones-if you don't run the engine straight away after using them they can cause terrible corrosion. In my experience, warming with something like a heat gun, followed by a few squirts of fuel will free up any plain bearing engine. I freed & started a 30 year standing AM15 the other day-took about 10 minutes from seized solid to running perfectly. Don't use WD40-the silicones in it can destroy the catalytic reaction of the glow plug.
hope this helps