Wind meter for iPhone

I see there's a wind meter/anometer that you can get for the iPhone. I don't have an iPhone but wondered if anyone has used it? In theory it could be a very cheap way of having such a facility at the flying field assuming its accuracy?

The link is here.

Cheeky I know but is there any chance a kind someone can buy it ($0.99), use it and report back here?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 23/03/2009 10:10:01

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 23/03/2009 10:19:40

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 23/03/2009 10:20:31

Advert

David

I would think that this is a fun-only application for the iPhone

Measuring wind speed by the noise obviously will work, but the accuracy has got to be a bit suspect. A lot will depend on the orientation of the iPhone to the wind direction.

It would be interesting to see how well it works though - I will ask my Missus if she will buy it!

Bert

Like Bert, I strongly suspect the accuracy of this is going to be very poor, and is highly dependant on the orientation of the phone relative to the wind, and indeed whether your hand or any other obstruction is anywhere near the microphone.

Tim,

I suspect the reason for the low maximum is that the signal from the microphone is clipping heavily by 28mph.

For slope work, holding it up to one ear and orientating your head to align the other ear so that the through draught is attenuated might work. You'll still have the issue of calibration, but for two things now. Maybe make a date with the local calibration service early in April to get the work done.

RT

• 1 month later...
I've got it on mine and David has seen it working.
I don't think its meant to be taken too seriously but it does give a general idea about wind speed.

Having said that it does seem to be fairly accurate.
Will have to do a test along side a true wind meter.

• 7 months later...
I bought a anemometer some months back, and guess what, it stays at home, I can generally feel if its too windy to fly.

I assume the slopers among us would find it more useful as they use different airframes depending on the wind (again though, I would imagine after a few sessions you would come to know your plane and not need a reading to tell you if it will fly or not)

My brother got this app as he Skydives.
I was convinced it wouldn't work and would be getting its data from the web. However, it did appear that when he blew into the phone it changed the display accordingly!!! I was quite stunned by this.
Not sure if this was a complete coincidence but it was appearing to make it change!!
Since discovered that it was the noise making it work.
How accurate it is, is debateable and he certainly does not use this for Skydiving anymore. 

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 07/01/2010 10:11:21

I did have a play with one of these a few weeks back at the slope - doing a direct side by side comparison with my "proper" anemometer showed some considerable in-accuracies.  One main issue is the sensitivity to direction of the mic to the actual wind.
Bit of fun, but unsurprisingly hardly a serious tool

Somehow the developer of this software got my email address and dropped me a note last week to say it was now compatible with the iPhone 3GS.  For 59p I'm more than happy to take the plunge so have now installed it.  Other than learning that I can blow at 14mph, it's not done anything for me yet - mind you, I've not been flying since!

It's never going to be accurate, it's converting a microphone noise level into a wind speed reading.  It would depend on the direction of the mic in relation to the wind and also a phone cover will alter the shape of the mic so altering the noise level.

I'd use it as a rough guestimate of windspeed only.

I use Aeroweather for very accurate weather info, only any use if you fly from or near an airfield though.

We use it at work to get diversion airfield weathers, saves calling the met man or receiving a small rain forrest of fax paper

If you've not used TAFs or METARs before then there's a good guide and list of meanings METARs here   and TAFs here.

Sorry about the huge chart Mods, thats why I edited to links.

Edited By James40 on 08/01/2010 12:13:47

• 9 months later...