Beware the AR500 Rx

Tim Mackey

Incidentally, I "received" one the other day from a major supplier, BNIB, and it is again NOT properly enabled with the latest firmware. This is getting very silly, and un-acceptable, as Spektrum US claim that all DSM2 receivers ( irrespective of model ) have been QC enabled since April of LAST year. There has /is a long running thread about this problem with the AR500 on another US forum, and I cannot for the life of me understand why these things are still being obviously shipped with OOD firmware - especiually as it sobviously a 2 minute job to update them. Even better would be the facility for updates to be done by the end user...simple enough, lots of other such gadgetry is capable od this via a simple mini USB link and a PC. 

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hi all, we lost a Limbo Dancer today from about 50' in a final turn on a landing circuit. We have just started to use the Spectrum  modules in our FF9's and chose the AR 500 receiver primarily because of its size. We have followed the instructions to the letter but todays crash was certainly not pilot error. The plane simply continued to roll from the turn and went straight down. It landed / crashed in the biggest clump of grass and whilst it was on the other side of a dyke I operated the TX and to my surprise everything moved as it should. I range checked it in that position and was probably at least 25 paces away. The plane is a write-off and the receiver casing is cracked. Checked it again tonight and it all works again. Does anyone think its worth persuing with Horizon? To be honest I do not understand fully yet about brown outs etc. so any help would be appreciated.
Ben  

• 1 month later...
i got 2 ar500s cheap at wings and wheels yesterday  guess what they are taking 2seconds to recconect ,i want to send them back to horizon for the firmware update but cant find anything about it on their website ,can someone point me the right direction thanks.

they were loose in bags , i presume they had been split from a combo ,i payed £27 each  from als.

It says on the box of tghe ar6100 it will run off 3v - 9v so i wanted to run it off of one single lipo cell, it worked!

EDIT: try using uniross Hybrio receiver packs, we havent had to charge our planes for atleast a month! they still say the highest light on the battery checker!

Edited By Peter Savage on 28/06/2009 12:19:26

Austen...dont worry - just send them to the address below - and include anote that you want the latest QC firmware, and they will do them immediately and return them.

Address;
Horizon Hobby UK
Units 1 to 4 Ployters Road
Staple Tye,
Southern Way,
Harlow,
ESSEX CM18 7NS

i sent of the 2 ar500s monday just got them back this this morning ,one was reprogramed the other was replaced ,pretty good service ,but i will insist on checking anymore before i buy as its not really on that you have send them in to horizon at your own expense/risk,unless of couse i see some going silly cheap

Edited By austen rover on 02/07/2009 11:50:06

I also bought two AR500s from Al's Hobbys at the Wings and Wheels show last weekend.  After reading Ausen Rover's problems I checked mine. 
One is fine - instant reconnect, too quick to measure, far less than a second -  one is faulty, 6 seconds to reconnect. 

Bizzarre.  Al's must have been taking them out of transmitter combos of different ages.  It's a bit shoddy of them to be selling really old stock without warning people.

So of course the faulty one is being sent off to Horizon to update - at 6 seconds to reconnect the plane would have been lying smashed on the ground for 3 of those seconds!

I bought two about a year ago in "proper" Spectrum packaging and decided to test them as a precaution.

1) Power-up, waggle the sticks; all ok.

2) Power off Rx while still waggling sticks; no response.

3) Power on Rx while still waggling sticks; instant response!

Guess they're ok then!

Edited By Doug Ireland on 02/07/2009 21:48:28

what concerns me is lot of people who brought the ar500s at the show or anywhere come to that ,may not be aware of the slow reconnect problem. it seems that a lot of retailers and spektum themselves are saying that all new units are ok ,this clearly isnt true .maybe a mention of the problems incured with the ar500 in a certain mag would help?

Thats a decision for the editorial team austen.. but I doubt it will get much repsonse from HH. Their tac has always been that this is a "free enhancement" to a Rx which "works" perfectly well - its up the user to ensure that he / she uses a battery /power supply that is up to the job...therefore a brown out will not occur. 

• 4 weeks later...
yep...seems to me that  ALL the AR500s have their own "slow version" of quick connect as standard...even the latest releases - very odd, and has certainly been a factor in my choice of Rx of late.
I just dont see why I should have to pay for, and go to the trouble of, sending them back every time. They do indeed come back with the "proper" instantaneous QC installed, so its not as if they cant be right in the first place??
Of course, some will argue ( and valid I guess ) that providing you use a satisfactoiry power source, then brown out should not be an issue - however, I do feel starangely happier flying a model which I know has proper QC installed.
Perhaps I am insecure

Sent my receivers to Horizon on Thursday, received them back today, Saturday.
Fantastic turnaround - great service!

Am a bit concerned, however, with the advice typed on the return delivery note.
As follows:

"Resolution - Firmware re - loaded, now re-connecting instantly on power recovery.
Please note that while these are full range receivers they are intended for use in smaller models only. For larger models we would suggest that a receiver that carries at least one satellite to ensure a better, faster signal is obtained"

I need a fast signal in all my models!

I never remember seeing info or adverts mentioning this when I bought them.
What do they mean by "smaller or larger" models.

At the moment I use them in 40 2/Stroke i.c. semi-scale low wing 60" wingspan models - are these too big or are they "smaller models" by today's terminology?

Pleased but left uncertain!

Rob

Slightly off topic here to mention the AR6100- but as you have already done so Peter, I would add my 2P worth about them
Unlike the AR500 which is full range -Its officially classed as only park fly range, and is the ONLY Spekky rx that I have ever suffered a range problem with...and it was not that far away either
I think TBH the problem lies more with getting good signal diversity on the fixed aerials - at least the AR500 has an extension on one aerial to allow better positioning. I have to say that my all time favourite Rx so far for the larger models is the AR7000 with its dedicated separate satellite Rx - but thats off topic too

My dad took a plane up so high he almost lost sight of it, it had an ar6100, he still had perfect control of it, we have not had any problems what so ever with the spektrum link, i'm not saying to use the 6100 in a nitro plane, i would only ever put them in electrics and save the 500s and 6200s for nitros