Timbo will be maidening mine tomorrow, im just finishing it now, it came out very tail heavy, i used black tape on the elevons, so perhaps this is the cause? Im still ratching out my scraps of lead to get the CG sorted, and the radio needs setup, but that can be done in the AM. I have pictures, but Wifey has put the card reader in a safe place...

Shaun

Advert

Finally found the cardreader, so heres some piccys

I rushed it together last night for the fly in, but am very pleased with it, goes like stink, & flies v.well inverted. Tim didnt get any stick time as I was enjoying it sooo much i didnt put the tranny down. At the end of the day, I flew it right down off St. Bees head, right across to the golfcourse slopes via the promenade then landed in front of the car park.  Id say that makes for a pretty good maiden flight.

Shaun

• 2 months later...
I've had mine about 6 weeks or so and It really is a great all rounder. Yesterday I was flying in a breeze gusting from 2 - 6 MPH and despite the lack of consistent lift the little W'evo held it's own with some very expensive moulded planes, although it didn't quite have the speed they did!
It loops as tight as you like, rolls like a drill and doesn't much care which way up it is.
AUW is 386g (13.8 ozs) with 4g of lead ballast in the nose and the paint is Tamiya acrylics sealed with a layer of ClearCoat.
What another great foamie from the Richter stable!

Edit........See "assorted photo's" link a few posts further down.. (long link deleted.)

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 08/11/2009 21:01:47

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just received my Weasel from Dreamflight- impressive packaging and product.  The fittings are all quality items.  The glider was simplicity itself to build- the most difficult part being the cutting to size of the ailerons, the most time-consuming being the decoration- you simply can't leave it as plain old white EPP foam now can you?

I covered mine- on the advice of Michael Richter- with coloured packing tape- I bought it from Staples at about 3 quid a roll.  Just lay in strips slightly overlapping and for the edges cut little snips every 5mm or so and overlap and that will deal with the compound curves.

I bought the power kit from Dreamflight for $50 and that included an NiMH battery, switch and two metal geared servos- all with shortened leads to exactly match the model- a great touch. Remember that space is a premium here and everything fits perfectly.  If you want to make modifications, you will have to take a knife to that EPP!

Mine is fitted with a Spektrum 6110e receiver and it all fits perfectly- only job I have to do is paint the inside of the plastic skid cover but it will have to wait until I get some spray paint.

It is ready for flying now so will report back when it has flown- it balances perfectly with some 20 eurocent coins in the battery bay.

"Anyone know what the cofg should be?"

There are little indentations under the wing- near the wing root  which are the C of G locator marks.  They recommend putting two pencil tips in these indications and balancing it that way.  Using your fingertips is not accurate enough.  The recomendation is for a slightly forward C of G for beginners, i.e. the Evo tilts slightly forward when balanced on the C of G markers.

• 4 weeks later...
Note: once you've covered it, or added fibre-glass reinforcing tape to the wing/fuselage join, as I did, you won't be able to see these indentations.
First flight was chaotic, until I sellotaped a small stone to the front.
Weighed the stone (10g) when I got home and replaced it with a bit of lead.
Next flight ought to be better.

• 2 months later...
Yes, EVO CofG is marked in the foam by a couple of indentations and I built a jig from scraps of Depron with some long M4 bolts, hot glued to the base. I balanced it exactly level and then added a couple of grammes of lead so it was just nose down.

The first flight was pretty scary but perfect in balance terms and I have not changed the CofG since. I suspect that if you balance with the old two fingers method then there could be tears though!

Why scary - well It is a complete change from my normal slopers - Easy Glider and Star and also Elan (Cambrian Models). Twitchy and fast and requires 99% concentration for me at any rate. I use a cliff site over the sea here in Brittany with 8 to 10 knot winds at the moment. All up weight is 349g (OK 12.3oz then) and it it handles very well. I have 60% rates (from factory specified) on all the time which is controllable but after yesterday have dropped the aileron to 50% as near the 'land' where there is turbulence it is too easy to get caught out and flick into the bushes as happened yesterday. No sweat, brushed off the leaves , relaunched and that was that.

This is a great 'plane and I love it !

• 11 months later...
I saw them last week as I was watching a weasel( that went for far too much), will have a look for them too.

For info, the Fleabay seller is/was sjbro1971 - I got a belly cowl set from him last week - a good, tough item, whose slight extra weight mitigates some nose lead anyway.

Maybe a note to him through channels would illicit if he's getting more to list.

Ro.

to you then Mr Lloyd
I happened to be flying with Ron Broughton ( SuperRonik Models ) at the weekend up the Orme, and as we discussed this amongst the usual tea break chatter - it turns out that its his son Stephen who is doing these on fleabay ( sjbro1971) - what a coincidence eh!
I have spoken with Steve, and he has some white ones, and expects to have the black version back in stock over the next week or two.
Meanwhile, being the impatient thing hat i am, I have just received this morning, two original versions from T9. I may just glass one of them.