FW 42

A.A. Barry

Advert

AA

This is the canard i fly, I determined the CG using a CG calculator and by taking moments of area (to provide reassurance that the calculator was not a mile out).

schlange.jpg

I had no trouble with the CG. Although I had directional control issues, which were solved by increasing the fin areas to the picture above.

Tony do you know the chat that owns that plane, perhaps he might let us have the plan, or some info on it.

If I recall my effort before, it ended in disaster because of a non- believer,test pilot, I think I stuck on 3 fins towards the end.

Imay be ugly to some people, but at least it is different

B

It was feed back from a post i had made, from Richard Harris that provided the insight that it could be the fin area that was causing me control problems.

I had what i thought was quite generous area, although less than i had thought was ideal. The reduced area from my ideal was a consequence of not wanting lead in the nose to achieve the CG.

In my case, the control problems were very dependant on airspeed, and wind strength.

Richard confirmed that he had similar issues until he increased the fin area on his very aesthetically pleasing model. My model is a bitza, which have been reworked, also part of an investigation into so called flat plate wings.

I would not be surprised that the scale fin area on the FW 42 is not a little small. In my model, it did not respond to aileron inputs, pitch control was always fine.

Barry I have tried to track down the owner of this model but no luck, found the guy who took the picture but he was a German fellow on vacation in the USA and had no info on the owner ( if only it had been A.W taking the pics ) I know it was at the Joe Nall fly in in the south eastern US and I think that happens around May if I get the chance (and the time of course) I will plan a trip to this event and see if I cannot narrow the search a little.

Will keep you all posted something may turn up on the net yet.

My building buddy has reminded me this is not a "scale" model as no flying prototype was ever built, it is only a concept so the actual airworthy version may well have had two/three fins what we are trying to achieve here is a flying version of a concept, we are in effect finalizing something that was started many years ago.

Yes Barry it is different and that is what makes it attractive to me, sooner or later we will have a close representation that fly's well.

edited for spellingfrown

Edited By Tony Richardson on 16/03/2015 16:28:19