FW 42

A.A. Barry

This so ugly, that someone should love it, the calculations have been done, 1064 mm W/span, Twin ep powered canard.
One of Kurt Tanks also ran aircraft, bits from a few other aircraft, so here is the challenge, WE will find out as things progress.
 got to uderstand how to "post pic' on this new site.   Barry

Advert

Hi Barry
If the CofG is just backward of the L/E what about the directional stability? i.e the moment of the side area ahead of the CofG compared to that behind. Looks all wrong to me.
There was no doubt Kurt Tank was a brilliant designer but I would be amazed if you could ever keep this in controlled flight unless you had some very clever electronics to help.
I would build a simple chuck glider first to get some idea of its flight characterisitics.

Ernie, yep, that will be interesting, (chuckies) the only drawings are above, that Terry L posted, Ta Terry
Simon, I don't know, other than build one and see what happens, bin bags are still handy.
 Now I have to clean of the "bits and pieces"  (err... Dave Clarke 5 ) from the model table and set to and get this drawing done.......      Barry  

Hi Barry,

I made this at twice the size of the 3 view that you sent (It's 35cm span) 
Initial test flights (across the bedroom) show a balance point of just in front of the leading edge.  Tomorrow, if the rain stops, I'll embark on a comprehensive flight testing
I've set the wing at around + 2 incidence

ernie

WEll Ernie, it does look like it will fly, 2 deg incidence is interesting,  have to wait till your next report thanks,   Barry    so it seems everything that is red is not always a rose

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 29/04/2009 11:58:56

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 29/04/2009 12:00:42

• 2 weeks later...
barry . I see some talk of incidence and cog. I have a model long ez (chinese made)
a couple of friends had them too but thiers would not fly properly. we saw that the canard had -2 to 0 of incidence.( yes they were all different) I set mine up with 2+ incidence in the canard with the wing set at zero. The cog is 65 mm back from the leading edge (its a swept wing). Point being in relation to a constant chord wing the COG would be as you say just behind leading edge. I would suspect aprox 1/8- 1/4 of the chord. The long ez is electric with a het 600 pusher 4 cell and is the sweetest thing to see fly. all the others needed lots of speed and suffered from terrible spins. mine is happy to fly all day everyday. hope this helps.
Cheers kiwi G

HI world

Le tempete has vanished over the Medoc
So far, its a wee piggy, flies better backwards than forward.                                                 
Maybe I'll build a bigger one, so that I can be a bit more accurate.
Please, you aerodynamicists, give me some more imput.. What about wing section, tailplane area, moment arms etc

ernie

barry did you mean CoG just behind leading edge of wing . or did it work out as you say on the canard ????
I studied this topic a bit when we were getting long ez going. We found lots of inconsistant information .There are alot of theories behind the canard aircraft and its stall properties.The best I can offer is the canard flies first and treat the main wing as something thats hanging off the back. the canard flies slightly nose up so gives the impression of needing a neg incidence ,but in my case I found it not so.
I hope this helps.
Kiwi G

From my own limited experience.

The fore wing has to carry by proportion a greater proportion of the weight. To achieve this, the fore wing will be at a greater angle of attack relative to the aft wing.  Otherwise it would not be in equilibrium under static flying conditions.

Being at a greater angle of attack, when the system is brought to a stall, the foreplane will stall first.

The only real problem that I found, if the same section is used on the foreplane, relative to the aft wing, it will stall quite early. As the reynold numbers are not as favorable due to the smaller chord. In other words the fore plane is not as effective as the rear plane. I therfore increased the camber on my foreplane. In all honesty it did not seem to make much difference.

Contary to theory, my canrd did not have a benign stall, the foreplane would stall and the nose would drop. I tried many solutions, rounding the leading edge of the foreplane more, tapering the leading edge. Moving the CG, further aft, moving it forword. As the foreplane was all flying this was no problem. It still behaved much the same.

As it was supposed to be a competion sailplane for the flying wing section of the BARCS 100s leauge, it was abandoned, as it was uncompetative, and not as predictable as required. It was never entered into any comp.

All I can realy say it flew, it was no great revalation. It was just not worth the effort to try and improve it, flying wings (planks) were better, in all respects and conventional sailplanes were in a different leauge. The difference between Manchester United and Accrington Stanley.

Erfolg

Hi Guys,

I've built a bigger chuckie (2ft span) so that I can be more accurate..It's still a piggie. I just can't get it right at 2 deg positive on the canard.
Surely the main plane needs to be positive to give some lift.

Help you aerodynamanuts

ernie