The Big Ship - first build help

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Geoff, How I hate that job. 
I've got  a 24" tailplane beside me, with 4 mylar hinges at about 6" centres. 
I find that a small line of vaseline, or wax crayon on the small exposed bit helps to keep it clear of CA 
Also, don't forget to pin them with  cocktail sticks. If you're really careful; you can drill holes for the pin from below, but not pierce the top cover, then the making good is restricted to below
Finally, from an aerodynamic point of view it is a good idea to seal the joint. I use Blenderm tape from the chemist  for this. It's wonderful stuff with a multitude of uses

ernie

I have to say that when the model is a slow gentle one I don't bother pinning the proper CA hinges. Faster, hairy beasts, yes.

Of course if you have the plain maylar plastic you do ned to pin them as the CA doesn't grip that type well.

You could add a couple more hinges if you wanted to but mine are space at about 2" in from each end of each elevator.

With the CA hinges there is little or no gap so sealing them doesn't make much difference. If you do decide to seal them make very sure that the tape doesn't restrict the travel of the control surface.

Hi Geoff

It's not essential to seal the joint, but I think it makes the tailplane more efficient. The idea is to close the gap between the tailplane and elevator.     I have stuck a length of insulation tape along the joint, and noticed the difference
And yes, four hinges on the whole length. As the renowned Peter M says, there is not a lot of stress
Cocktail sticks are a belt and braces job, but remember that an elevator coming adrift means a bin bag 
I'd never take a chance on such a critical area

ernie

• 2 weeks later...
Peter - HEEEELP
I'm about to fit the wing tips but can't figure it out.
I've cut the spars slightly longer than on the plan until I am happy with how to proceed but I have come across two problems.

Firstly the tip needs to be twisted in order to contact with the front spar - if the tip is not to be twisted it seems the front spar needs to be longer than the back spar because it is further from the underside of the wing (hope that makes sense) On the plan the spars  are shown almost the same length.

Secondly the  tip it intersects the training edge well within  the form shown on the plan.

I'm not confident enough to decide what to do but feel I should lengthen the front spar  so the tip does not  twist and to just blend the tip irrespective of the plan.

Your advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Edited By Geoff Bradley on 12/11/2009 21:39:05

Not quite sure what you mean but never mind. It is very simple really.

The tip is just a flat sheet of wood angled up from the boittom of the rib. IT can be made as a rectangle. it is then shaped so that in end view it is the same shape as the rib and the top of the wing is flat right out to the tip.

The spars are not important, you could cut them off flush with the end rib and then make up sheet gussets to support the tip.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

I was trying to achieve the form shown on the plan which I now realise is not as critical as I thought.
I've now ignored the form  and set the tip at the angle shown on the plan (waiting for the sticky stuff to dry)
I may add a couple of sheet gussets just inside the leading and trailing edge for an extra bit of extra strength.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't understand the "Hard 1/16" sheet butplate to" either.

They seem to have left out my little sketch of the tail skid.

You bend the skid up and bend a tight, long "U" on the end, THis slides into a piece of flattened brass tube. Then there should be two screws that go through the tube and between the legs of the "U" and into the ply plate.

THis is probably the simplest and most effective way of fitting a tailskid oir tailwheel,

If you still have the RCM&E with Miss Demeanor in it it shows it a little more clearly.

There are four books. "Designing" Model Aircraft.  Which does what the title says. "High Flying on a low Budget" Which is all about ecenonmy modelling. "Essential Tips and techniques Vols 1 and 2."  These do give some building techniques. All published by Traplet Publications.

(Note) I don't get royalties so am not plugging them for that reason!

I also have a three part series on building from plans coming out starting in the Feb issue unless it gets put back again.

Edited By Peter Miller on 07/12/2009 08:30:57

Would you believe it - I've just got home from work to find the 'BMFA NEWS' on the doormat with a Traplet catalogue. 'Essential Tips and techniques Vols 1 and 2' are in there on special offer. They will be in Santas sack.  
Also looking forward to your new three part series - there should be more building articles in the magazine as it might stir up more building interest. Too many RTF and ARTF for my liking.