Bungee release pedal

stuey

Hi, I have just finished making my pedal, and thought it might be of some use to people out there. The design is based on the article in the Sept 2007 RCM&E. The only thing different is my hinging arrangement. I have used 1 1/2" angle brackets, and a pack of 2 adjustable brackets from the big DIY store starting with a W. They piviot on M5x12mm bolts, with a washer in between and nylocs to stop them loosening. These are just nipped up to reduce the play. The base is 18mmx144mm (?) pine and is 400mm long. I avoided being done over by B&Q £3 for a 6" nail (grrrr) by finding a suitable 6mm bolt with the thread smoothed away. The rubber bands are courtesy of the Royal Mail, who never drop them on the pavement...

If anyone wants more details let me know

Edited By stuey on 14/05/2009 17:15:49

Edited By stuey on 14/05/2009 17:16:02

Edited By stuey on 14/05/2009 17:16:28

Advert

• 1 month later...
I used my pedal and ramp for the first time today, and all went well with the system. I had a couple of mishaps with the F-15 however   After knocking one of the fins off getting it out of the car, a quick dash home saw a repair with cocktail sticks and some 5 minute epoxy (good as new).
On returning to the field, I was having some problems with the fan not wanting to start. This happened a couple of times last week. It was ok once the power was cycled.
Today it was ok when the throttle was applied quickly, but not slowly. The fan would pulse back and forward but would not start. I was getting a bit cheesed off by now, and decided to launch after checking the startup a couple of times. It went away fine with approx 6 kilos of pull, quite low but it was going up the slope on our patch due to the wind direction. It then picked this moment not to start, leaving me with a landing into the long grass surrounding the patch. No damage was done, except to the intakes which I had only just repaired from last weeks slight mishap.
Undeterred (or stupidly...) I tried again. This time it powered away fine, again with a level launch from the ramp. I had one other successful launch, with no problems!

The ramp is made from half a B&Q pasting table. I was going to use the whole thing, but I'm concious of taking  up too much space on our smallish patch. I have shortened the original foldable legs one end, and the smaller rear legs are fixed. The end has a piece of quadrant glued on to give the hook line a smooth run over the end of the ramp.The angle is approx 10 degrees, which seems ok. When I get a chance to launch on a level bit of the patch, I can judge better how much height the model maintains whilst on the bungee, so I can maybe change the height or angle. Hopefully next time my intakes will stay intact!!

I think I have solved the start problem by changing it from soft start to normal, hasn't failed to start after several attempts.  

Edited By stuey on 20/06/2009 16:15:58

Edited By stuey on 20/06/2009 16:18:21

Edited By stuey on 20/06/2009 16:19:35

It is all stored in the container at my club, I only have to walk about 30 metres with it to set it up. The ramp still has the handle on the side, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up and be ready to launch. Not too much of a hardship tbh.

• 3 weeks later...
I use the Dolley set up that Dusty has linked to, model launches straight as a die, no danger of the wing clipping the ground and I position my stake off our tiny club patch so that I leave nothing in the way of other flyers, the foot release pedal is at the edge and is also out of the way.

Tom