Electric Flair Baronette

Advert

well still a few minor jobs to do, and as usual they seem to be taking forever. I have wired up the Jeti MUI and the speed controller, they each have extra 3mm plugs attached to feed the BEC and the MUI.

In case you are not familiar with the Jeti telematary system, the MUI measures the pack voltage and the current flow to the speed controller. It can then feed back to the Rx the same sort of information that a Wattmeter gives. Such as mAh consumed, current min/max/actual, volts min/max/actual. This information is fed real time down to the Tx/handset where a little add on panel displays all this information in real time. No need to run out of battery power unexpectadly, you just have to glance at the fuel gauge now and then or do as I do and get a helper to tell you what its reading.

Here is the MUI 75A sensor and the Super Simple 50A controller

The Jeti 2.4 Rx I use drinking straws to hold the aerial wires. The 4 cell A123 is under the Rx in a box

This little shelf above the motor is where the speed controller sits. Right behind one of the "eye" holes in the front of the cowl. Air passes over the heatsink and through the fuselage via the oval cutout in the bulkhead. It exits via a hole in the cockpit.

Her you can see I used a Sullivan snake for the elevator, and closed loop for the rudder. You can also see that I used fairly substantial Robart hinges for the rudder.
More later
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 19/08/2009 14:17:17

Needs some dirty castor oil chucking over it!

You'd have to work in Formula 1 to understand all that technology.

Chuffed today because my 'unobtanium' channel 62 JR crystals arrived, one big shop failed, another (based in Sussex) came through.

Looks like she's close to flying, bike clips on!

GB

The telemataryryry is maybe not quite so crucial on the smaller models but the confidence it gives me on the bigger models makes all the difference.

Yes JR does do it the other way around, which JR have you got Gary? I have a PCM9XII with a Jeti 2.4 module. I love the feel of the JR Tx, the gimbals are so smooth and precise, wish my flying appreciated it .

The Se5a, another of Dudleys designs, has a c of g that is spot on and it flys dreadfully! I have stripped the covering off the bottom wing and ripped the belcranks out and fitted two small servos, one for each aileron. Another test flight for that today or tomorrow. I hope its cured it of its awful flight characterisitcs.

cheers
Danny

Have to say the 'Sunrise' is not one of his better flyers either, the 'Albatross' is an improved version of it but much heavier. The big Tiger Moth is a lovely flyer. Win some, lose some!

The Tx is an X2610, second hand but in perfect condition. I was using a FF6 before. I had to convert it from Mode 1 to Mode 2, been programming it for all my models. I had run out of model memories and on the JR they can be given names instead of numbers, was only a matter of time before I launched something on the wrong model setting. Should go to 2.4 really but I've got to watch the modelling budget.

I've always used Futaba matched Tx and Rx with some Hitec/Jeti/Webra  Rx's for smaller models and I was wary about mixing and matching brands but after reading about it you are apparently ok if you use the manufacturers own brand crystals so I've been waiting for a Tx crystal for about six weeks, arrived yesterday. Will give them all a good range check before flying.

A minor problem I had is that the JR servo connector channel numbers are also different to Futaba, they're not given in the manual I got with it and I couldn't find it on the internet either, I then spotted the signal output screen on the LCD which shows litle triangles moving with the sticks on numbered lines, aha!! Bob's your uncle. 

I met a guy on the field once who had got round the Mode 1/2 problem on a helicopter by swapping the servo connectors over!!!!??! It wouldn't fly, unsurprisingly. We advised him to take it away and get it set up properly. 

Might give it a go later with a little E-Flite Ultimate FX-3D but the weather is a bit grim at the moment.

Cheers

Gary

Well the Se5a didn't get another test flight but the Triplane did.

We took a few photos for poserity, just in case things didn't go quite to plan. I must confess to having a few butterflies about this test flight, and thats unusual because i like test flights normally. I guess its the thrill of being in unknown territory and the expectancy of how it will go.

Anyway here we go:

The se5a and "Thomas the triplane"

The se5a does look nice, just wish it flew as well......

There is an adage if something looks right then it probably is right. This looks right but would it fly right.

Better get Chris to take a few more pictures whilst attaching two layers of bike clips to the legs of my trousers

Okay the Baron seemed to be getting impatient, he was keen to get over the trenches of Le Walsall and seek out a few of those fiendish British

Last few for the album

Okay, Throttle and mixture set, ignition on, CONTACT!!!
The mighty Le Turnigy roared, (okay hummed) into life and  a quick magneto check, (did they have magnetos?) sorry I am losing the plot.........

Time to open the throttle gently but with authority, a quick stab of right rudder to correct the swing as the tail came up and she floated of the grass, sweet as anything

Climbing away, no trim required....

After three circuits I lined up for a landing, I decided to fly it in rather than go for a three pointer, just to be safe

I tried to land close to the cameraman so he could get some good pictures

It landed one wing slightly low, but all was well.

All in all a wonderful end to a lovely little build. If you want to build something traditional, that is not difficult, a delight to fly and a wonderful electric conversion this is for you. You may be more adventurous than me with the colors, but to me it has to be "Thomas the Triplane"

As a final note little Thomas won best home model at the Greenacres electric fun fly today so must have done something right.

Chocks away, and thanks for the company........

Baron Von Danny

doing a pupeteer now anybody interested in that one?

Hey Timbo you know there is always a bun with your name on it at Greenacres matey.

We did try to fly the missing man with hot dogs on the bbq but Gavin just kept eating them so it all turned rather messy and resulted in the consumption of more beer. You really should wing it over next year and bring that Dromaderie if you have not made it into a monoplane

Hey Bob, kind of you to say. The guns they were kind of tough. I took walnut shells and crushed them up. Mixed the bits with Polyester resin and cast the mix into an aluminium tube. Once it hardened I put the rods in the lathe....... Only kidding you can buy them  They are Williams Bros 1/6 Spandaus. They are a bit tricky to assemble as i found the instructions rather poor, and the molding had so much flashing you didn't know what was meant to be there and what was flashing  But after an hour they looked good. If you paint them with the dark humbrol gunmetal, I think its 2004 and then when dry rub pencil graphite dust all over them they look fab.

I wish the weather had been better so that you could have seen it go, it does sit really nicely in the air and is so light on the controls.

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 24/08/2009 00:15:10

Top job mate, nice to have a first flight with no dramas. Yep, single magneto I think, they used to 'blip' them to momentarily cut the engine to reduce power on the approach, the Avro 504 still does it at Old Warden.

Now where was I, oh yes, building the wings, doh!!

Cheers

Gary  

Thanks Chris kind of you to say.  I have just had another go with the Se5a "Bertie" and though better with seperate aileron servos it stil shoots of at a very odd tangent when it feels like it. I am going to change the BEC and the rudder and elevator servos just to eliminate noise somewhere. I have replaced the Jeti 2.4 with my trusty JR 35Mhz and it has made no difference so it isn't that.
I am also going to enlist the assistance of a good friend and superb test pilot to see what he thinks. i will let you know. I was speaking to a fellow member who also was nable to sort out a Flair Se5a several years ago so it doesn't appear isolated. The c of g is exactly where indicated on the plans. Anybody else had a Flair se5a?

Gary, thanks mate, now how many more wings have you got to build, should be nearly done shouldn't you? I like building wings but I am all winged out at the moment.....

Cheers
Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Well I had another session with the se5a "Bertie the Biplane" this evening and I think it is nearly there. It is much better, however, I am not sure why that is. I have replaced the BEC with a different type, and also substituted two nasty ACOMS servos in the fus (rudder and elevator) for two quality Chinese ones Whatever it is I was able to fly it hands off for the first time. There is a little more I can do, I get the feeling the c of g is wrong, I need to revisit that as its a biplane it tends to sit level no matter where you position your fingertips, pendulum affect I suppose.

Hopefully next session I can talk Chris into taking his camera and maybe get some aerial shots.

Cheers
Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Danny,
I've just inherited a Baronette that has never flown but was originally intended for IC. Although I am an avionics engineer by trade, I'd never been tempted by electrickery-powered models but I've decided to convert my Baronette to dry fuel. My Baronette has a clumsy pushrod assembly for ailerons and looks pants so that'll go, too.
Thanks very much for an excellent series of posts - your standard of build appears extremely high - well done. I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas for conversion!

Christian

Hi Christian they say to copy is a form of flattery so please feel free, I am the first to admit I have copied others on how I tackle challenges. I can  thank Stuart (Prop) for the idea about splitting the two Cabanes into four to make it look a little more convincing. I am sure there are other bits that I have seen others do and have used so please feel free.

If I did another i would shorten the nose by an inch, and chop the middle wing open alongside the cockpit. But as it is it flies very nicely indeed.

If you need any points clarifying just holler.

I originally studied for my Radio licence to do avionics, but the CAA oral examination board put pay to that career path ah well........ I did enjoy it for a while, but with hinesight I think my father was more keen for the licence than me, the light aircraft maintenance company he ran was paying outside contracters for radio work and I think he wanted to keep it in house LOL

Let us know how you get on? And please if you can make the Greenacres leccy bash next August with it that would be fabulous.

Cheers
Danny