Long grass (1ft and growing !!!!) and landing ripmax spitfire/mustang

Merlin spit

thanks Tim ,id spotted the thread about the ar500s before I bought them and have tested mine they are more or less instant reconnect can only tell they’ve losses power though the red light flashing .  

sorry if it  sounds dumb ,still a bit confused with the  bec and ubec diffence ,I understand that with a esc with bec built in you use the flight pack

,if you use a esc with a ubec built in do you need a separate battery or can you use the flight pack ?,

if the ubec is separate do you need a separate receiver  pack ?,

if you use a opto esc can use a ubec and just the flight pack ?

I hope that makes sense Tim

Edited By austen rover on 01/06/2009 20:32:35

Austen

I believe that there has been at least 4 of the Spitfires flown at our club.

We only ever fly from a long grass field, are there any other types?

They all land extremly well, seem to fly by far the best, of any of the ARTF jobbies. Look the best as well. No one seems to have any orientation problems with them.

No one uses the two finger holes to launch though, seems all reckon they are in the wrong spot and shape.

The down side at least 3 have crashed, pilots blaming glitching. In my own opinion, I am not suprised as they are all flown with tremendous Gusto, taking on moves that the faint hearted would baulk at.

Seem to use a varity of motors and batteries, although all are brushless outrunners and Lipos.

Erfolg

There is no such thing as a UBEC built into an ESC - UBEC generally stands for Universal BEC and these are the seperate "stand alone " devices used when you either have an ESC with no BEC or just wish to use a seperate one for whatever reason.
When usisng a seperate UBEC, it is connected to the main flight battery so you still do NOT use a seperate battery - all the UBEC does is drop the voltage from the main battery to the 5V required for the radio.

thanks tim its all clicking in to place now ,dont know  how i got it in to my head but i thought you had to have a seperate battery to use a ubec .il think il get a opto esc and use a ubec now ,thanks again tim

ill post the figures when ive got it setup 

wow i i ordered from hk sun, got delivery yesterday ,shame they didnt have esc in stock but  i have a turnighy 60a   which  has a switching  3a 5v bec ,coming from rc storm uk ,ill have everything i need then.cant wait to blow the cobwebs out of the shed and get the spit in the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi tim ill be using a spekrum ar500 borrowed from another model for now .

just been out flying in the field ,i took a picture with my phone ,seems to of slowed down a bit on the growing front this week ,funny ive been moaning about the wind, but today it was flat and i felt like i was getting worse , i couldnt seem to get into the swing of things at all ,i wouldnt of  risked a new model anyway ,ill wait for wind to come back !!!

Hi ,I got to test my setup for the ripmax spitfire today ,so just to recap im using  a turnigy  aerodrive sk3542 1000kv 605w motor  with a 60a turnigy plush esc with a zippyflightmax  3s 2200mah 20c  lipo

I used a 10*6 prop for the test which produced 26a  and 273 watts  think this would be ok for the spit .

I havnt got any bigger props at the monment but will get some of the recommended props  sizes  tomorrow to try ,

i was trying to work out the flight time with this battery is this right ?  2.2 / 26 *60 =5.07 min

if ive worked it out right ,at full thottle the pack would last 5min ,i know i dont want to over disharge the battery ,but i wont be flying full thottle all the time so if i set a flight time of 6-7 mins would that theorectily be ok?

Austen

I get the impression that the models in our club do a lot better than 5 minutes, in flight time.

I really do not know the power available, but I am sure that it is, significantly less than your set up.

Spitfires should be flown fast, at some point, but they were not rocket ships, The speed to my mind should be brisk, lovely axial rolls, sweeping stall type turns, Immelman style,  are so evocative.

Most seem to crash due to the daring of the flyers, not due some untyically high speed pass with a glitch. Yes they would go vertical, but not indefinatly. Both the Spitfire and 109 are a joy to watch, when flown well.

Erfolg

Oh well that leaves me out

Yes Austen your calcs are correct, theoretcially.
In practice you will find that you can increase these estimates by as much as 30 - 40% due to factors such as prop unloading in the air, and the flying style.....very few if any models need WOT all through the whole flight. If you set your timer as you intend, and then when you come to recharge measure /note how much juice goes back in you will then have a better idea of consumption. I always fly to LVC on the first and only flight, then set my timer to i minute less than this, for all future flights. This allows a margin for overshoooting etc, and prevents the pack getting to LVC at all in future.

doh, i  should have been picking up the spit today but was out of stock ,unnamed shop had sold the one they were holding for me then they wanted £15 extra to order new stock ,not happy i told them to forget it .i phoned  my other not so local shop, they only had the mustang i was tempted but got my  heart set on the spit now .anyway they didnt know when or if they could get one in ,their gonna let me know monday .

i might end up waiting for wings and wheels and seeing if i can pick one up there ,if my patience holds out that long .