Glow fuel price

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why glowfuel has increased in price by at least 50% recently? The ingredients are not based on mineral oil so are presumably not imported nor should they be affected in any way by the state of the £ Sterling. Are we just being taken for a ride again or is it because petrol motors are becoming more poplular so the retailers/wholesalers are trying to maintain their profits?

I've been thinking about these price increases and am considering converting to diesel fuel for my glow engines. There was a very good article in the mag last year sometime about the "Gadget" that can be fitted to a glow engine so that it can burn model diesel fuel instead of the normal methanol mix. By all accounts, you can get almost twice the duration out of the same volume of fuel if you change to diesel!

Thanks for your replies. When I posted this I did not realise that others had already taken up the subject. The price increase appears to be across the board so they cannot blame it on the temporary increase in the price of nitro. Perhaps we should boycott one supplier at a time for a month, starting with Model Technics?

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 07/06/2009 22:13:23

People power seems to be very much alive these days. I wonder whether a major modelling magazine like RCM@E for example were to commission an interview with a fuel manufacturer for publication would perhaps give the consumer the answers to the fuel price hike which at present, we can only second guess.

Last year we were told that the price hike for glow fuel was due to the Olympics with China drasticaly trying to reduce pollution, but strangely the price of LiPo's and other electronics from China continued to fall, at least until the £ took a nosedive!

It would cerainly be interesting to hear the reason for the latest increases.