Foaming fuel

Matt Theron

Hi all ye wise people,
I have padded the tank of the model in question but still get foamy  fuel in the tank - the engine is a sc 52 four stroke.
Is there perhaps anything liquid that I can add to the fuel to stop this condition?

Hoping that help will be at hand.
Cheers
Matt

Advert

Hi Matt
I seem to remember that a scoosh of furniture polish did the trick, but  try it at your peril
I'm sure someone will put you right on this
I'd look at the cause, cos, I doesn't happen to me. If the padding is good enough quality, and all round the tank, then it should be OK.
What about the neck of the tank, is it getting vibration from the firewall

ernie

There was a suggestion in an American magazine that a silicone liquid called 'Armor All' be added to the fuel but while it stopped foaming it built up a layer of silicone on the glow plug filament and the piston top I remember the author describing the need to chisel the coating off the piston - not recommended!  

My Junior 60 with SC52 FS has very little foam round the tank, just one layer of 'superfoam'(sticky back about 2 inches wide) and never had any problems with fuel foaming.
How well is your prop ballanced? Engine firmly fitted? Any thing else loose causing excess vibration?

Armor All is a cleaner for the dashboard material in a car so presumably the stuff sold at halfords etc will be similar. 
as indicated above, 2 or 3 drops in a gallon of fuel is sufficiaent to suppress foaming.  when i queried what armor all was , an american very kindly sent me a can - seemed to work altho have moved on in models ( euphemism for crashed the foaming model ) and no longer need to use it.