Fuel Flow issues

Olly P

All,
I have been trying to get my SC 46 running in the Hornet. I have managed to get her to run for a short period of time if I partially cover the exhast vent (presumably increasing pressure in the fuel tank), but as soon as this is released she revs up, coughs and dies. I have therefore stripped out the fuel tanks and checked it over, cleaned all the lines and carb with meths, and had a good look at the clunk.

When I inspected the clunk and tried the 'blow' test it seemed blocked, I have now cleaned it with the meths and it will allow a flow, but it is very limited - when I look closely into the fuel line end of the clunk there appears to be a seperate brassy piece attached to the main body with some small holes in it, I think these are restricting the fuel flow. I haven't tried to turn the engine over since cleaning the clunk, but will do so when i get a 12V supply to power my starter.

Any ideas why the original problem and if the second piece inside the clunk is 'normal' I will try and get a photo and post it later.

Edited By Olly P on 10/06/2009 11:38:25

Advert

Thanks Timbo, I'll bear that in mind.

This is the fuel system that came with the model and I think may be why it has never flown (from the look of it)

I have tried to start it with a now cleaned fuel feed system, and it doesn't ignite.

I will try a different fuel feed tonight (I'll rig something up that'll work)

The clunk appears to be clear but still seems to be the slow point in the fuel feed. I tried to get a decent photo of the brassy bit but it is too shadowed by the clunk outer. here are a couple of photo's of the system anyway.

I am strongly tempted to get a different clunk.

All help appreciated!

Olly

Hi Olly, remember that the fuel flow through the filter isn't all that much. It sounds as though you have a 'sintered bronze' filter, (I may have the name wrong) try pumping fuel backwards through it, about an eggcup full, discard that fuel and then try again.

Sintered bronze is indeed the correct term Tony. However the item pictured by Olly is not such a beast. It is a regular metal clunk and should not be a problem. I suggest replacing all fuel lines with new silicon tube, ensuring no air leaks in the system, and checking that the needle valve is correctly set ( SCs tend to have them set around 1.5 turns out ). I have now just 1 x IC engine left in my fleet, but its an SC and runs sweet as a nut, every time.
I just think you need to check EVERYTHING carefully, put a nice shiny new glowplug in, clean fuel etc and all should be fine. 

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/06/2009 12:42:42

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/06/2009 12:46:40